Wreck Dive in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Finally - I've gotten my first video up from our trip to Cozumel. It is from our dive on the C-53 - a beautiful wreck which allows penetration under supervision. It was a great dive and I feel very fortunate to have had a awesome DM who was such a great diver, guide and who allowed us to have such great bottom times (rather than to pull us up to the boat before our air or no-deco times required).

Enjoy the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrFQ3qEq8c

The C-53 is one of my favorite dives. I never get tired of swimming through the bait ball!

Outstanding Video Sarah!!! I really enjoyed watching it and thank you for sharing. It really looks like you and Mark had a great time!!

Thanks Jim. It was a wonderful trip and a great dive - by far my favorite wreck dive ever! :)

The C-53 is one of my favorite dives. I never get tired of swimming through the bait ball!
Oh we didn't get a bait ball experience on that day,.. oh well.

Wow! Looks like a great dive.
It was. Highly recommended!

Great video Sarah!! Thanks for sharing. :D

Finally - I've gotten my first video up from our trip to Cozumel. It is from our dive on the C-53 - a beautiful wreck which allows penetration under supervision. It was a great dive and I feel very fortunate to have had a awesome DM who was such a great diver, guide and who allowed us to have such great bottom times (rather than to pull us up to the boat before our air or no-deco times required).

Enjoy the video!

Great Dive. Also one of my favorites. Very nice video. Thanks for sharing. :)

Enjoy the video!

Nice video.

Did you not find being in an overhead environment to be scary? I get the willys just thinking about it.

Out of curiosity, what is the profile of that dive (how deep, how long)? And what is the operator's recommendation for how to execute the dive (I.e. what does the gas plan look like)?

Nice video.

Did you not find being in an overhead environment to be scary? I get the willys just thinking about it.

Out of curiosity, what is the profile of that dive (how deep, how long)? And what is the operator's recommendation for how to execute the dive (I.e. what does the gas plan look like)?

Thanks Adobo. As for it being scary - I suppose that there were some bits that I found slightly intimidating because of the sheer darkness, but overall the wreck was fairly open to the OW so there was plenty of light. A dive like that in NorCal waters would have been very different.

As for the profile, I've attached a copy of my dive computer profile.

Dive10.JPG

Max depth 71' - average 55'
49 minutes BT

DM and DO recommendations as to the wreck and how to proceed were fairly straightforward and very dependent upon the diver's comfort and ability. There were some divers who expressed concerns about clausterphobia, something I don't experience. Our group was divided into 2 groups, each with 5 divers per DM. We went from space to space, reconvening after each "passage" if you will.

There was not one time while I was inside of the wreck that I felt uncomfortable, scared or intimidated. My breathing in the original (sans music) video reflects that fact. No deco was required, and it was a great and safe dive. I even extended my safety stop to about 8 minutes with the DM as I found it so peaceful to hang out horizontally watching the divers below, their bubbles coming out of the wreck. :)

What depth was the wreck in? Looks like a largely square profile. Did you guys spend the bulk of your time in the wreck or only a few minutes in and then the bulk of the time outside?

Also, did they ask the divers to bring lights for the dark passages or were lights unnecessary?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom