Wreck Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I teach the SDI basic wreck course and the TDI Advanced Wreck class. My feeling is that you really need to start looking at the TDI course as a natural progression and so I include line work on at least half the dives. Depending on the student and schedule I like to have 6 dives min for the SDI course.

The first dive is a general survey with lots of attention to making notes on the wreck. Orientation, type, overall layout and some line work to survey and take measurements.

Next dive is a more detailed survey where we go over the target area paying special attention to risk points. How stable is it? Where are the sharp edges that can cut a line or the diver? Where is it possible to encounter line that might entangle a diver? What structural defect are there?

Dive three is identifying entry and exits. Making a sketch of them and doing a look inside each without actually going in. A mirror is part of this.

Dive four is more line skills including showing a diver what getting caught in a line feels like. Or more what it does not feel like. Most people expect to be brought up short suddenly and stopped in their tracks. Doesn't always happen that way. Just slipping a line over a fin buckle in open water and letting the diver swim shows them that it can be very subtle to become entangled.

Dive five is a short penetration within the light zone, using a line, practicing tie offs, and an air share swim out and buddy swimming a non responsive buddy out while following the line.

Dive six is the spider web. basically swim through an area with lines running every which way in it. Idea is to go very slow, pick the route, and don't get tangled. They always do though. Enough to show them that they really have no business inside at the recreational level. Every student I have had that went through this made a similar observation. That the guided dives they may have done in the tropics and other places where a guide them led in a wreck was a disaster waiting to happen. They saw just how easy and how subtle it could be to get in real trouble. They also stated that they would not do that again. That they'd stay on the outside or call the dive.

I took the PADI wreck course a couple of years ago and it does include penetration with these limitations: outside and inside entries must be large enough to pass two divers side-by-side, penetration only to the end of the light cone within a maximum linear distance from surface to end point of 130 ft. The course does include how to lay a line but does not include the following: no use of personal safety reels, no black out training, no long hoses or training in single file exit strategies, no propulsion techniques (critical for tight and silt-free diving), and no advanced gas planning. In summary it's a very basic course designed to allow rec divers limited penetration. If your serious go for the more advanced courses offered by other agencies. Make sure you get a good description so you don't end up in an intro or basic course.

I've been mulling over how to approach this next bit of education in my diving.

I'd like to take a/some wreck diving class(es)

The 'local' wrecks are roughly 110-150' to the sand (70-100' to top decks). Still recreational depths, and for most purposes, still Nitrox territory.

I already have PADI AOW and GUE-F

Local offerings are GUE/PADI/SDI/TDI

GUE only has Cave for any overhead training, which would be overkill and a tangent in a wreck (not to mention, not a local course)

PADI has their course, but I can't quite figure out from their descriptions what it is, or entails.

SDI has a wreck course as well, but much like PADI, it doesn't say much about what it is either, aside from 2 or 3 dives if it's non-penetrating or 'swim thrus'

The TDI advanced wreck builds on the SDI course, and lays out what it entails.

So, do the SDI course, then take the TDI course?
Any other paths in the BC/PNW arena?

BRad

I know a bit about TDI but not SDI. I think if you're not already an experienced diver that TDI probably isn't what you want. There is a large element of personal responsibility (and therefore insight) in TDI. SDI I don't know.

I know the PADI system well and I can give their wreck course. It can be very good or very bad depending on your instructor. I would think that if you want a general overview and a bit of a grip on the risks that PADI will be fine. If you want to get into worming around in wrecks then I would advise to take a technical wreck course.

I don't know much about GUE aside from that they view a wreck as an iron cave. If this is really the limit of their thinking (an cannot confirm this) then I would advise to look toward IANTD or TDI instead. Wrecks are not iron caves any more than caves are wrecks made of rock.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom