wreck cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A quick warning. On my visit to the keys I quickly went from "swimthroughs" to what I realized had become much closer to penetration. It's pretty easy to get comfortable. I realized that I was beyond my training and equipment when I hit my single 80's valve on the ceiling of a narrow passageway at 100' with a buddy who had an air2. It was a long way from actual wreck penetration (freshly sunk sanitized wreck, some natural light, etc), but it wasn't really "open water" anymore.

IMHO... a 'good' wreck instructor will use the single (optional) penetration dive on a recreational wreck course to illustrate the dangers and complexity of wreck penetration. If done correctly, it should discourage divers from attempting unsupervised penetration without further training - rather than lead them to a belief that they now 'qualified' to penetrate wrecks.

I do lots of line work, team work, light work and other drills on my PADI wreck courses. I finish it off with some basic penetration where I lay the line and control the group. Without exception, my students end the course with a profound respect for the dangers and skill requirements needed. I think that is a healthy 'end-point' for a 4 dive recreational wreck course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom