WP-DC12 Compatible Strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UTKnox

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm sure some of you caught my "what to buy" thread in the main U/W Photo forum, so you'll at least have an idea of where I'm at w/ all this.

I've decided on the A570IS w/ the DC12 housing (Ikelite doesn't have one out yet it appears, even then, above my price range).

As the title says, where can I find out what strobes are compatible with the DC12 housing? I dug around on Canon's website and wasn't able to find anything. Outside of that, I'm lost as I'm pretty new to this u/w photography thing.

While I've got your attention, is there anything else that is an absolute must have for this basic setup? (Other than excellent buoyancy).

The buoyancy is defiantly key. Along with total confidence in and knowledge of your dive gear before taking camera in hand.

your choice of camera and why you chose it is your thing. However I went with the Canon powershot A640 and canon case for about the same money you get 10 mega pixels and lots of great features.

For a flash I would recommend the Fantasea nano. It is small, compact, lightweight and very inexpensive. It is compatible with just about any camera out there. It has adjustments for up to 3 preflashes and also amount of output for around $120.00

And yes I would suggest a mounting tray, metal is best, and a focus light. The metal tray will help make the camera less boyant and is easyer to modify when you want to add things. Again Fantasea makes a good one that's not too pricey and NO I do not work for Fantasea. I just use there stuff cause it's priced for us po folk.

Despite my limited # of dives, I spend a LOT of time in the water. 3hrs, 2x a week so I'm definitely comfortable with my gear as well as my skills.

Digic III seals it for me, the 640 is nice though!

Ok, let's try it this way. Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find a strobe setup that will in fact fit the DC12 housing? I would definitely prefer to have a TTL strobe.

Is the tray absolutely necessary? I would imagine so, but I don't know my head from my arse @ this point.

I'd talk to the guys at Reef Photo about strobe options - they know it all and are very helpful. www.reefphoto.com -> contact us link or n2theblue@reefphoto.com

Personally, I'd head to the Inon range. I've used a couple of different Inon's with my A series cameras and they work very well. I don't use TTL so can't comment on that, though a bud does on her Inons and it seems to work pretty well. I can't see that manual is that much tougher, frankly, but each to their own.

I've used the Inons with the fibre optic cable and it works just fine. I was lazy and just slid the end under the diffuser plate on the housing instead of securing it somehow, but it worked just fine :wink:

I've also used my now ancient Ikelite 50s with the remote controller thing - it worked just fine, too, but was bulkier and not as slick. It would be great with the right arm set up but I didn't have that then.

Sea & Sea also has some nice options for strobes.

My personal thought on strobes is buy more than you think you will need. Buying less than you think you'll need or just what you think you'll need will only frustrate you - and usually sooner rather than later. And that means forking out for yet another strobe. A good, solid strobe should last for years.

I also try to buy a strobe that can grow with me should I ever want to change systems. In my case it means having a strobe that can be fired with a fibre optic cable for my compact systems but also be hard wired with a synch cord for my dslr system.

I've ordered a lot from Reef Photo and had excellent service and I also use Yuzo in Japan (info@naturephoto.co.jp) for Inon strobes (he also carries Sea & Sea, I think). Be aware that ordering from Japan will mean that some warranties etc may be different so check things that are important for you.

Yes, you need the tray, because there is no way per se to attach a strobe to just the case. (At least that I am aware of, or can figure out.)

The Sealife SL960D comes with a tray and the Canon housings fit well on that tray. It is about $300.

I also like the Ikelite DS-51 a lot too. It is a compact strobe with plenty of power. Get the Ike tray and the EV controller and the strobe works like a charm. That runs about $500.

Well, I've spoken to Reef and have learned a couple of different things.

One, it seems to be a real PITA to find quality strobes for this housing.

Two, TLL is very expensive. Is it really worth it? I like the idea myself. Does anyone know of anything other than the Inon packages (out of my price range) that support TTL for my housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom