Wow, that's a lot of weight!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikinibottom

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, I didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread, so I thought I'd start my own to ask...

Why sooooo much weight?? I'm a NOOB to diving, having just earned my OW C-card, and I've been pouring through all of the threads here trying to soak up all of the experience & knowledge everyone here possesses. But as I'm wading through all of the posts, I'm seeing people post TREMENDOUS weight amounts (anywhere up to 40+ lbs) and this is jaw-dropping for me. I know that different gear configurations and fresh water versus salt water will necessitate more/less weight....but upwards of 40 lbs??

I'm 5'6" and 185 lbs (yeah, I've had a torrid love affair with both Ben & Jerry over the winter, what of it?!?:D), and in a 3mm wetsuit I did my checkouts in freshwater with 10lbs of lead. Am I horridly underweighted?? We did the "hold normal breath with water at eye level" weight check and it was "perfect".

What gives here folks?? I barely made it to the water carting all my strapped on gear and 10 lbs of weight...I can't imagine having to waddle to the edge of a boat with much more than that!!

For very few people, wearing a large amount of weight (and I define "large" being >20 pounds) is right for their body type/bone density.
For 90% of everyone else, wearing that much weight is ridiculous and usually laughable. I struggle to hold my composure when someone says they need 35lbs of weight.

If it checks then it checks. Individuals and gear are all unique.

As a new diver your idea of an average breath is probably more than a seasoned diver and that could account for a few pounds. If that was a brand new 3mm suit it will also be fully buoyant and will require more lead that it will after say, 50 dives. Trust what you know and keep checking. You are far safer with two extra pounds that you are being 2 pounds too light.

In my neoprene drysuit, with a cozy undergarment, E7-80 in salt water I need 46 to be safe. 44 might be good and I want to try it. I know 42 is not adequate.

2mm shorty, AL80 in freshwater and I wear 4 pounds and don't need a BC.

Don't get caught up on what others use, it's irrelevant.

Pete

PS we also dove Crystal River, Weekie Wachee Springs, Blue Grotto Springs 2 weeks ago and had a nice time.

In cold water (<40F), and using a single HP100, I need my backplate (4.7#), weightplates (8#), my can light (2#), and about 12# on a weightbelt. That's with a compressed neo dry suit and a very beefy Pinnacle Merino Evo undergarment (100 g Thinsulate, 250 g technical fleece, and 300 g of merino lining) and a 7mm hood that I'm sure is a pound or two positive.

In my 3 mm wetsuit with an AL80, I need my backplate (4.7#) and a 2# weightbelt.

Weighting is clearly very environment dependent.

Ah Hah!! I think I've just had my light bulb moment :lightbulb :lightbulb :lightbulb !! LOL So when I see that much weight mentioned, I can safely assume we are talking drysuit diving? Sheesh.....crawling back under my rock. :babycrawl Don't I feel like a dork?

I also vary my weight considerably. Like 26 Lbs and an HP120 with 7mm with hood gloves etc... to go below the Thermocline in freshwater. Then I take my wife for a shallow dive in my shorty and an Al80 maybe 10-12 lbs (depending what I have left she takes some weight).

Weighting questions are very normal on Scubaboard but the answers are very diver/exposure suit/environment specific.

Yes! You got it Drysuit or LOTS of neoprene.

bikinibottom:
Ah Hah!! I think I've just had my light bulb moment :lightbulb :lightbulb :lightbulb !! LOL So when I see that much weight mentioned, I can safely assume we are talking drysuit diving? Sheesh.....crawling back under my rock. :babycrawl Don't I feel like a dork?

bikinibottom:
<snip>
What gives here folks?? I barely made it to the water carting all my strapped on gear and 10 lbs of weight...I can't imagine having to waddle to the edge of a boat with much more than that!!
Phft! Lightweight! Try wearing a steel tank, oversized boots, ~16# of lead AND walking back and forth, and back and forth again from the parking lot to the beach in Panama City. :shakehead

FWIW, I was overweighted. :wink:

Or a big thick wetsuit. I only went up a couple of pounds from my 7mm + 6/4mm hooded vest. Some actually drop weight going from wet to dry (but again, this would also be dependent on undergarment choice). Bigger weighting is tied to colder water.

bikinibottom:

That's a ScubaBoard hazard. Be wary of any weight statement that does not include a full definition of gear and environment.

As far as getting around is gear is concerned, be patient. You will acclimate to it all and with frequent diving it will be much less of a burden. Besides it's all worthwhile.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom