Wow! Someone has figured out how to market diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s why I’m going to a warmer state for winter vacation.

Photos from the dives.
Good trip report!
upload_2019-12-2_13-7-45.jpeg

This is a photo (borrowed from the Internet because my photos are MIA) of my favorite dive spot, in Oregon, in a rare day with small waves and tolerable visibility. Takes some rock scrambling to get there. It’s the site of my first post-OW dive long ago (my OW was done at a thermal lake). I didn’t notice the cold here because the first thing I saw when I looked down was a big sunflower star right below me, which I’d never seen in tidepools, and it confirmed that the subtidal needs to be explored. So here, it’s breathe your tank out while wandering, or often while just hovering by some tube worms or a nudibranch, and be fascinated. Your sun stars story reminded me of this. (Of course, diving here on a day picked at random is likely to be less than fascinating.)

I have one on my brand new suit too. Very handy for rear entry models, lets me keep the suit zipped up all day long.

I was surprised at how few operators there are on the site. Really just Gods Pocket, Hornby, and a few shops that sometimes run a boat on the weekend. Hideaway and Nautilus Swell are gone. Ogden Point used to be almost a mini resort by itself. Is the industry contracting that much?

Is the Hideaway finally gone ? Heard some rumours, but weren't able to substantiate them. Long for the days when the liveaboards were up in Hardy - the Lady Goodiver and the Sea Venturer !!

Divegoose

Is the Hideaway finally gone ?
I don’t know that for a fact. It could still be operating, and I certainly hope it is! Perhaps John just took a break?

I don’t know that for a fact. It could still be operating, and I certainly hope it is! Perhaps John just took a break?

I was at God's Pocket in October, and we were inquiring about the Hideaway. Nobody seemed to know where John was and there was some talk that he was laying low due to various debts. It does not seem that he operated this year.

I know exactly what I'm missing and have no regrets. I like to dive to see the wonders of natural sealife underwater- not lifeless shipwrecks. No offense to those who do enjoy that type of diving - it's just not of interest to me.

Not sure what wrecks you are diving but all the ones I have been to are far from lifeless. There is much marine life that takes over and calls the wreck home. I know it is off-topic but I felt I needed to defend my beloved wrecks LOL

Not sure what wrecks you are diving but all the ones I have been to are far from lifeless. There is much marine life that takes over and calls the wreck home. I know it is off-topic but I felt I needed to defend my beloved wrecks LOL

I do not care much about metal per se.

Off NC where I dive most of the bottom is featureless sand. The exception are wrecks and ledges. Both are loaded with marine life and covered with coral. Love the ledges but the good ones are deeper and further out so I dive the wrecks more often happily looking at critters.

I was referring to pictures I’ve seen of Great Lakes wrecks - they seem covered in Zebra mussels and not much else. Also, they seem to have little in the way of fish life around.

As I said, I’m not really that interested in wrecks. I have dove several in the Carribean - most have been pretty well covered in corals, with lots of fish and other sea life (turtles, Rays, etc.,) around. They can be interesting, but I’ll take a natural reef or wall dive any day!

It’s just my personal preference and not intended as a judgement on those who enjoy wrecks and cold water diving. It’s all good - so dive how you like!

Back
Top Bottom