Wow... Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly two years ago Shearwater said, "We have no plans to add wireless air integration to our computers."

I guess plans can change.

I was thrilled to see that they’ve added the ability to display tank pressure as well as gas time remaining to the Perdix family. Unfortunately when I called to enquire about the details I soon learned there is no upgrade path for existing Perdix owners:mad:

I suspect it'll be a lot like past Shearwater updates - a lot of people selling relatively recent models for prices that are a healthy percentage of retail to help buy the latest and greatest. I don't think you're going to see old Perdixes on here for $500 anytime soon.

If you have the transmitter from a Hollis or Oceanic dive computer already, you just need the Perdix AI
Is this confirmed somewhere?

I suspect it'll be a lot like past Shearwater updates - a lot of people selling relatively recent models for prices that are a healthy percentage of retail to help buy the latest and greatest. I don't think you're going to see old Perdixes on here for $500 anytime soon.

Exactly, the Shearwater computers hold their value quite well. After two analog compasses consoles leaked I sold my original Petrel to upgrade to get the compass on Petrel 2. I got a very good price for it.

Before that I had an AI computer and really liked having my gas on my wrist. But mostly I liked it for logging usage for single tank rec dives. My wife uses a Petrel 2 but still keeps her old Suunto Cobra as her SPG just because she likes the gas logging. So I suspect there will be a number of Petrels up for sale soon.

I'm hopeful that when the Shearwater crew get's back from DEMA they'll respond positively to a potential upgrade path for existing Perdix owners:)

I get the resale value piece however I'd like to avoid the associated gymnastics if possible.

I'm hopeful that when the Shearwater crew get's back from DEMA they'll respond positively to a potential upgrade path for existing Perdix owners:)

I get the resale value piece however I'd like to avoid the associated gymnastics if possible.

The upgrade path will unfortunately be to sell your old one and buy a new one. The new AI version of the Perdix has a low frequency RF radio receiver to communicate with the wireless air pressure units that the old Perdix computers simply don't have. This also explains the difference in cost between the AI and non-AI perdix without the transmitter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom