Wow! Near-serious-injury experience!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wow. I almost died/got hurt really bad this afternoon. I have a wood-burning furnace for heat and hot water at my house. It is a furnace with a water jacket around the firebox. I was doing some work with my tractor, and since my woodpile has shrunk quite a ways away from the furnace, I decided to throw some wood in the bucket to drive over to the furnace. Opened the door on the furnace first (Mistake #1).

I was putting wood in the bucket, and noticed it was boiling over a little bit out the top vent. Didn't think much of it, it does that if you leave the door open very long. But today, it was 70 degrees, so it heated up waaay too hot, waaay to fast. Yet I still thought it would be okay. (mistake #2) I got back on the tractor and started over to the furnace. BOOOOOM. The water jacket vent blew off the top, a 3' geyser of boiling water & steam shot out the top and covered a 12' circle around the furnace.

Holy crap. If I would have been carrying the wood over instead of using the tractor, odds are I would have been standing there when it geysered. Thus I would have been showered with gallons of steam and boiling water. 3 hours from a burn unit. 40 minutes from a hospital. :11::shakehead

Ugh. Makes me sick to think of it. So, only open the door on your furnace when you're ready to put wood in it.

I would not know what a wood furnace looked like.

Glad you are okay...those close calls make you think.

They make gas and electric furnaces now you know, indoor plumbing too :wink:

My brother-in-law has a home-made contraption similar to yours that he uses to heat the above ground swimming pool that's in his basement--don't ask.

I really am glad to hear you're ok, I just couldn't resist having a little fun with you :D

Ber :lilbunny:

oh thanks...

I was trying to picture this. The water is for what?

Ber Rabbit:

My brother-in-law has a home-made contraption similar to yours that he uses to heat the above ground swimming pool that's in his basement--don't ask.

I really am glad to hear you're ok, I just couldn't resist having a little fun with you :D

I sorry I just have to ask; your brother-in-law has an wood fired, under-ground above-ground swimming pool???:D:rofl3:

Have you called Jeff Foxworthy yet? Or, did Larry install it?:D

Ber Rabbit:

Oh, come on. Get real. You've been reading waaaay too many sci-fi books. Everyone knows that stuff doesn't exist yet! (Sheesh......bet he wears a tin-foil hat too....)

tedj01:
I sorry I just have to ask; your brother-in-law has an wood fired, under-ground above-ground swimming pool???:D:rofl3:

Umm, yes and (I kid you not) it's in an extension of the basement they dug under the mobile home that they have built onto (making it half mobile home half actual house)over the years. It's one of those 4-foot deep above ground pools complete with a rope to swing from the balcony by the living room and drop into the pool. It would be outside the house if they hadn't extended the house over it many years ago. I can't even explain exactly what it looks like but it's definitely redneck! The wood burner definitely keeps the water nice and warm when they are "running" it :popcorn:

teknitroxdiver:
Oh, come on. Get real. You've been reading waaaay too many sci-fi books. Everyone knows that stuff doesn't exist yet! (Sheesh......bet he wears a tin-foil hat too....)
No tin-foil hat but he does own a 52-ton steam locomotive (the whole train actually) that he runs out of Coldwater, Michigan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom