Wow... Is this Common?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP said she paid one quarter of the price the LDS was charging. Their advice must be amazing to be worth that much extra money.

Didn't say it was right or wrong, just pointing out that it happens all the time.

:D

Is this common? Sorry to say - yes is is all too common.

I'm in the bicycle industry and make my living of the local bike shop, so I have an slight bias. There are lots of parallels between the retail structure and practices of both industries, and this type of situation is problematic in both.

Seeing it from the dealers point of view, I can understand how he feels slighted, and in his shoes wouldn't provide free or added value services on products bought elsewhere. But to refuse billable service work or further alienate a potential customer, even if it's unlikely he'll make big ticket purchases, just doesn't make sense.

There are lots of available strategies wherein a dealer can off his most loyal customers preferred treatment. He can charge more to service equipment not sold there, or discounted service on what he did sell. (it's really the same thing but a preferred customer discount sounds nicer than an upcharge for non-preferred status)

He can also offer preferred scheduling on repair work in busy times, or politely refuse saying that he's at his repair capacity and cannot accept new work at this time except from clients to whom he's already obligated.

One of the problems in both the bike and dive industries in that local dealers sometimes adopt a mentality that they are somehow entitled by to your business by virtue of location and feel you've somehow taken the food out of their mouths by buying elsewhere.

You don't have to accept this. Try explaining politely, that as a customer you'll spend your money where you want to and would like to spend some with him if he wants it. If he's still not interested in earning your business, take it elsewhere. There are a number of excellent service companies for both warrantee and out of warrantee service, and the cost of packing and shipping your stuff shouldn't be a barrier.

Didn't say it was right or wrong, just pointing out that it happens all the time.

I didn't say what you said was right or wrong either.

...take up their valuable time...
Oh please. We have 3 dive shops. Nine times out of ten, whenever I go into any one of them, there are no other customers. They should be happy someone comes in to brighten their day. The ones around here usually are. I like the guys that work in/own our shops. But if they gave off the attitude as described in the OP, you can bet it would be a real turn off.

The OP said she paid one quarter of the price the LDS was charging. Their advice must be amazing to be worth that much extra money.
One guy in the LP thread indicated he paid the LDS $160/hr for his time. Must be some advice...

Yes, it's quite common for new divers to go into a LDS, pick their brains, gain the benefit of their expertise, take up their valuable time, ultimately buy all their gear elsewhere, and then be shocked when then go back to the LDS with that gear and expect the same level of service that they would receive if they had bought the gear from the LDS. Seems to happen all the time.

You just have to keep in mind that it's business, not friendship.

While some people cry, others sell tissue!

1st of all, where are you located??....2nd, "He is the only LDS in the city to guarantee the warranty of the equipment with his signature on a yearly basis...", I would think this should not be a problem, buying stuff online is the way to go---for repairs, service, etc--do it on line also ie Scubatoys,Leisurepro, whoever services the stuff you have.......I'm 60 miles from the nearest LDS and have had NO PROBLEMS with getting stuff 'fixed' since 1985......

I would find another shop & tell this ole bird to hit the road------and stop by every once in a while with your new reg, BC, mask, whatever you just bought & tell him the price & ask him if it's good stuff @ a good price(while holding his stuff's price tag in your hand & shaking your head left to right)........lol

If purchased from LP,and they not not authorized dealer for product, there is no warrenty..only a "LP warrenty"..any lds will not do warrenty work-free parts for rebuilds- for free as they would do with warrenty equipment.
The LDS should still provide service to equipment but charge accordingly for any cost involved.
We do and it does not take long for most customers to either acknowledge that they should have purchased fom us or they opt not to have gear serviced until it breaks down and really needs it to operate again.
As to paying a quater of what the LDS charged,is this absolutely true or an estimate?
Lets list the items purchased and the costs for each for LP so we can compare apples to oranges in a fair ,informed way.

I feel for you, but I'm with your husband.

The man who owns the shop where I got certified was incredibly friendly and warm until I asked him (now, mind you, I did ask him) if he could match the deal on fills that a nearby shop was offering. He not only refused, he was quite heated about it. I took that business elsewhere. And although I get all my service work done at that shop, and my husband DMs for them, I no longer get the smiling welcome I used to. And on the occasions when I have offered the shop the opportunity to match prices on things I have subsequently bought, they not only can't (or won't) they are again ill-tempered about it.

It amazes me. In the world of horseback riding, which is my other sport, no shop expects you to be "loyal". They know we all drift in and out of all the shops, and buy on brand or price and not on where the equipment is sold. Everybody remains polite and cheerful and stays in business. Scuba just seems to be a weird micro-universe.

Yes, it does. Spend an hour +, they leave and show up @ pool with gear bought online. It "might" be different if they were up front about what they were doing.
So, it took the employee away from working on regs or filling cylinders, etc.. How much is that worth? Don't forget to factor in the AC, rent, insurance, etc..

Back
Top Bottom