Wow, doubles really are easier to dive than singles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
After two dives, I'm slightly amazed. Everything, with the exception of in-water donning, is way easier. I wish I'd tried it long ago. I love doubles.

I've never had anything work so automatically and without instruction.

Last edited:
I love doubles... underwater. But they're an absolute bear on the surface.

I, too, was amazed how well they balance underwater. If they weren't so heavy, I'd dive them more!

After two dives, I'm slightly amazed. Everything, with the exception of in-water donning, is way easier. I wish I'd tried it long ago. I love doubles.

Eh? Unless they swim themselves or give you a back rub while diving, I can't see how they are easier/better. I'd say they are the same as a single - just another tool for the job at hand; but not the be-all and end-all of diving. In fact I don't think there is any be-all/end-all in diving; Mother Nature is too fickle to allow that.:wink:

But glad you had a good experience. Nothings worse than being stuck at the bottom wishing you were at the top!

I think they're delightful for a couple of reasons -- spreading the mass out over your back makes you have less of a "reverse keel" effect, so you're very stable on the roll axis. And the increased mass also means that any errors in buoyancy take more time to move you very far, so you have an easier time correcting them.

As already said, I agree! Once you have figured out how to weight them so you balance and get your trim back, they're wonderful in the water. I would dive them ALL the time, if I didn't have to carry them around on land or up ladders.

Once you have figured out how to weight them so you balance and get your trim back, they're wonderful in the water.

That's the thing; my trim and balance were instantly better/easier even when I was over weighted with 4 1-pound weights on a belt (for safety and adjustment) for the first dive. I think it might be due to the "dampening" caused by the nicely dispersed mass you mentioned. I felt like I could just put my body where I wanted it.

Last edited:
I would agree that they do seem to help you maintain the parachute position and therefore much better/easier longitudinal stability. I'll also note however, that diving AA120s also does that for me vs my AA100s....

Aluminum 80's do balance out very nicely; as good or better than a single 80.
That being said, I prefer the ease of just throwing on a singles rig, and going diving.

Doubles are nice, but I only dive them if I need them.
I owned a set of LP 95 doubles, but they were too short for me......Ideally, I would like a set of LP 85's.

I like doubles as well for some things. Nicest ones I own are my 72's. I have a set of 85's as well but after going Sidemount I have decided to break up the 85's. That is going to be done when I get back from DEMA. I just like not having to lug that much weight on my back anymore.

I always like to back mount a set of twins, Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun. :D

doublemint.jpg

As already said, I agree! Once you have figured out how to weight them so you balance and get your trim back, they're wonderful in the water. I would dive them ALL the time, if I didn't have to carry them around on land or up ladders.
This is exactly how I feel! They're a pain out of the water but delightful in the water. Decisions, decisions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom