WOW Diving the oil rigs on the Magician

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The mola mola must be hanging around. We saw them on the Eureka on Saturday - a school swam buy during a safety stop. Very nice pictures, too!

I also dove the Eureka on Saturday, on the Pac Star. We were allowed to take scallops, as long as we cleaned them underwater.
So we fed alot of cabazon & sheepsheads with the entrails of the scallops, we harvested.. A fun day at the rig!

I need to get back out there. I waited until I had 500 dives before I felt I was ready for a dive on the rigs. I had three great dives, including seeing a jelly that I still haven't identified and thousands of metridiums covering the legs of the structures down deep. I haven't dived there since 1999, so I guess it's time to think about returning.

I also dove the Eureka on Saturday, on the Pac Star. We were allowed to take scallops, as long as we cleaned them underwater.
So we fed alot of cabazon & sheepsheads with the entrails of the scallops, we harvested.. A fun day at the rig!

That was a great trip! Really enjoyed diving with everyone - and sharing scallops guts with the cabezon. :)

I need to get back out there. I waited until I had 500 dives before I felt I was ready for a dive on the rigs. I had three great dives, including seeing a jelly that I still haven't identified and thousands of metridiums covering the legs of the structures down deep. I haven't dived there since 1999, so I guess it's time to think about returning.
I was a little apprehensive at first. But it was not bad at all. I'm definitely glad I did it.

They are great dives because of all the life there. I hope they stop the fishing and scallop harvesting.

Last time on the rigs we were told no scallop taking- that was being regulated by the rig owners who were selling that right to commercial harvestors.

bperc you and I shared the same boat that day. Excellent weather. Great Vis and diving the rigs is quite the adventure compared to mooring up and jumping in.

[QUOTE

@keithbt- Yes, all three oil rigs are active.QUOTE]

Can you explain the dive?....Do you anchor 300 yards away, then swim to the platform , then decend. And reverse ???? I am by them in my boat quite often and always see the "stay 300 yrds away sign" . So I do. I always hear of oil rig dives and assumed that they were de-comissioned'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom