Wow! Cabilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took advantage of the local 5 day Easter weekend (gotta love HK for celebrating both Western and Chinese holidays :wink:) and hopped out to Cabilao Island in the Philippines. Located between Bohol and Cebu in the Visaya Region, Cabilao has 3 basic resorts on the island and is a frequent daytrip destination from Cebu and Bohol. I had heard OK things about the diving here and so went with little expectations. But what surprised me was the wealth of healthy coral and diversity of macro and wide angle subjects, all within a 5min boat ride from the resort I was staying at. Where else can you come across 3 different species of pygmy seahorses in 1 day, walls covered in the largest gorgonian sea fans I've seen, ripping currents with a 50-70 school of barracudas, technicolor corals in the shallows, ghost pipe fish, leaf frogfish, blue ribbon eels, and various crustacean in all sizes...!! Anyways, a more in depth trip report will be made in the Philippine travel forum shortly. In the meantime, enjoy the pics... :D

Many thanks to Tobias & the lovely Birga who run the Cabilao Dive Center @ La Estrella Resort and to Bobet and Roy who were my spotters/ guides!

First off, the loveable but alway so frustrating to shoot pygmy seahorses...

IMG_8594.jpg

IMG_8647.jpg

IMG_8547.jpg

This last guy was so small and blended in so well, I lost track of how many frames I wasted and I still couldn't get him in sharp focus. Add to it that you're down around 25m on a drift dive, trying to keep yourself steady focusing on something you could barely see with your own eyes.

Beautiful set of images, but that technicolour crab ....... What flavour is it?

AndyT:
Beautiful set of images, but that technicolour crab ....... What flavour is it?

cherry flavored I believe...:crafty:

edit: forgot to mention... I should really give much of the credit to the excellent local DM named Bobet. He was my guide for most of the trip and was just amazing as a critter spotter.

Thanks, Nice pix. The only pygmy seahorse I have managed to find was like the pink version in your first shot. I wonder how many types are around?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom