Would you use a smartphone to take pictures underwater?

Would you use a smartphone to take pictures underwater?

• Most Likely

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Likely

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • It depends

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Very unlikely

Votes: 42 68.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comparing photos that one camera produces with post-processing to photos that another camera produces without post-processing = apples and apple pie. That's all.

People don't post process pictures taken with P&S and SLR cameras? I am also not convinced that every shot was post processed in a manner that would impede comparison.

FWIW, I agree that the link that vladimir posted to Lisa Bettany's comparison is not evidence or proof of anything. Variables were missed and conditions did not seem to match. BUT, I still think that the smart phone camera's serve a great purpose and produce some pretty darned nice photos topside.

People don't post process pictures taken with P&S and SLR cameras? I am also not convinced that every shot was post processed in a manner that would impede comparison.

:eek:hbrother:

If you want to compare the quality of cameras, you do no post-processing and no editing of the result of any kind. Anything else is a rather pointless comparison.

:eek:hbrother:

If you want to compare the quality of cameras, you do no post-processing and no editing of the result of any kind. Anything else is a rather pointless comparison.

What is pointless is comparing an SLR or P&S to a smart phone camera. DIFFERENT TOOLS!!! That is what is pointless IMO. Sadly many of us have been suckered into that discussion.

Comparing photos that one camera produces with post-processing to photos that another camera produces without post-processing = apples and apple pie. That's all.
I agree, but more to the point is the question of "can you arrive at the desired result?" We know that you can with a DSLR and most good compacts. Sometimes that result requires post-processing. So the real question is can you arrive at the desired result using a cellphone, even if that requires post-processing?

I agree, but more to the point is the question of "can you arrive at the desired result?" We know that you can with a DSLR and most good compacts. Sometimes that result requires post-processing. So the real question is can you arrive at the desired result using a cellphone, even if that requires post-processing?

Actually no, if you're going this way, then the real real question is: what exactly is the desired result?

Actually no, if you're going this way, then the real real question is: what exactly is the desired result?

The desired result will be the same no matter what camera you have in your hand IMO.

Every picture that I take with my DSLR is subject to post-processing before I display it here or elsewhere. For example, I do not see the point of doing white balance underwater when I can tweak my RAW file in the comfort of my office. Yes, a DSLR can take a nicer picture than a point-and-shoot or cellphone camera without post-processing, but I see this as a discussion that's largely academic.

Snapping identical photos in the same light would give us an apples-to-apples comparison. There are other variables though, particularly for underwater use. Can the diver handle the camera and its controls underwater? In low light? In a current? Are the controls accessible? Can the diver afford the camera and housing? The extra baggage charges? Will the propeller plane even take it? Etc. Sometimes I'm a little envious of other divers when I see their little point-and-shoot dangling daintily from their wrist, while I drive my housing and strobes like a forklift. And there are a few divers on ScubaBoard who take excellent point-and-shoot pictures.

Poor photos generally say more about the photographer than the camera, and iPhones are no exception. This one's not mine, I just plucked it off the net from HERE:

anticipation.jpg

In my opinion, that was taken with an acceptable topside snapshot camera.

If you look at most of those pictures, they were taken and edited by professionals, not by your everyday person with an I-phone. I don't own, and probably will never own an I-phone, so I can't speak about them, but until they come up with a way to set it on a tripod and take self pictures, IMO it won't replace digital cameras. The self timer is a feature that most people don't realize they have until they see someone elses pictures with them in it and ask who took it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom