Would you use a smartphone to take pictures underwater?

Would you use a smartphone to take pictures underwater?

• Most Likely

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Likely

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • It depends

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Very unlikely

Votes: 42 68.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah you are right.....I am being nice. Ask anybody....you are witnessing a miracle :thumb:.
Truer words have never been [-]spoken[/-] typed.

I can remember when people rejected the idea that a cellphone would ever make an acceptable topside snapshot camera.

So I wouldn't consider it "overwhelming contrary evidence"
I was actually referring to Tigerman's penchant for ignoring evidence in general, not just in this thread. Nevertheless, I think the evidence in the link was a fairly convincing rebuttal to his unqualified statement about smartphones in "actual day to day use":

Having tried the iphone 4 camera myself and seen what the pictures actually look like when Ive used it and people I know have used it looks like, Im not impressed and its not anywhere near "top of the line" compact cameras in actual day to day use as far as Ive seen myself.

On land, a phone camera may well be the best option because I'm not going to carry a camera wherever I go. In a carefully planned and executed dive I think different factors come into play.
Yes, as I indicated in a couple of my earlier posts to this thread, I think the housed smartphone camera would be useful only as a convenience, along with its other functions.

Last edited:
vladimir wtf are you on about?
I dont tend to "ignore evidence" but if you want to belive so, feel free to keep it to yourself.

The "evidence" in the link was evidence of nothing, not according only to me.
And just exactly WHAT part of seeing the pictures myself and actually knowing how a digital camera works is "unqualified"?
I might agree that seeing the photos is anecdotal, but how what I see with my own eyes is unqualified while whats posted on a website is not is beyond me. 2 subjects with good light taken with a bunch of different cameras is supposed to mean more to me than what I see every day?

Atleast if your going to argument anything, you can refrain from trying to discredit people as notorious liars.

Last edited:
vladimir wtf are you on about?
This is not how adults address each other.

I dont tend to "ignore evidence" but if you want to belive so, feel free to keep it to yourself.
I do. I also feel free to share it.

And just exactly WHAT part of seeing the pictures myself and actually knowing how a digital camera works is "unqualified"?
"Unqualified" in this context means "not modified, limited, or restricted in any way."

Atleast if your going to argument anything, you can refrain from trying to discredit people as notorious liars.
Easy there, Tiger. Nobody called you a liar, just stubborn.

Yeah you are right.....I am being nice. Ask anybody....you are witnessing a miracle :thumb:.

ooh come on its not a miracle, we canucks are notoriously nice people :p

and to add an answer to my "very unlikely" poll vote...i don't even use my smart phone's camera on land
i love my Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS, its waterproof, shockproof, crushproof, coldproof and dustproof

I can remember when people rejected the idea that a cellphone would ever make an acceptable topside snapshot camera.

Very true but I doubt anybody is answering this poll in the absolute. I for one know the future holds many possibilities. Babur today I would not dive with my iPhone 4 as my camera.

and looking at the pictures people take with them, they're not!!

and looking at the pictures people take with them, they're not!!
Poor photos generally say more about the photographer than the camera, and iPhones are no exception. This one's not mine, I just plucked it off the net from HERE:

anticipation.jpg

In my opinion, that was taken with an acceptable topside snapshot camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom