Would you dive with someone who wouldn't share air if you were OOA?

Would you dive with someone that explicitly refused to share air in an emergency?

• Yes

Votes: 56 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 472 89.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover, you are just a hippy.

it is the Hawaii mentality...all people with character flaws leave the burbs, and come here, you know that.

I can see how a solo diver doesn't really "lose" a resource by diving with an unhelpful buddy, but are you really diving "with" such a buddy? What if they specifically asked to buddy with you prior to the dive, but made it clear that "btw, my air is my air, you ain't getting any of it if you have a problem."? How many at that point would still dive as a buddy with the guy?

What would be the point? Why buddy up with someone who's not willing to be a buddy? That arrangement offers nothing but downsides ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What would be the point? Why buddy up with someone who's not willing to be a buddy? That arrangement offers nothing but downsides ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Exactly my point. My thought is that the 11% "Yes I would dive with this person" response is inflated because some respondents are merely solo divers who don't really care if the guy is in the water with them either way.

I think this poll has created demons that don't exist.

A solo diver by definition doesn't buddy up. They are diving alpinist to support themselves.

So why are we creating a situation that doesn't exist? Refering to buddying with a solo diver????

LOL

Now, buddying with a non-solo diver that says he won't donate. That would be stupid and I can't imagine anyone would unless they themselves were diving solo, in which case, you aren't really buddied up in the first place.

Catch my drift?

oh god, now we have gone from being strokes to being sociopaths.

:rofl3:

No, I love to dive with strokes like myself....

What's this "we" stuff? Don't tell us you would refuse to share air.... :shakehead:

So...if you are a solo diver, why would you really care if they would or would not share?

That's not the issue for me.

They are just there, not really in your contigencies, unless it works out that way. (if they show up with a knife and cut me free, I'd feel *lucky* as opposed to they fulfilled their contract)

Can't say it any plainer than I did in previous posts.

It's about whether they can be trusted not to create problems.

It's kind of a trust dealie thingy.... :D

Dave C

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Exactly!

I took it one step further earlier when I said I wouldn't even carpool with the guy.

Has anyone here actually had this situation come up?

Has anyone here ever made such a blanket refusal to share air?

Hopefully the answer is "no" to both.

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom