Would we make the grade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceana Diver

Reaction score
The Joint Ocean Commission Initiative issued its yearly report card on January 30, 2007, grading state and federal governments and agencies for implementing recommendations for improved oceans management made by two panels, the Pew Oceans Commission and the US Commission on Ocean Policy. The JOCI report analyzes six key areas:
• National ocean governance reform (C-)
• Regional and state ocean governance reform (A)
• International leadership (D-)
• Research, science and education (D+)
• Fisheries management reform (B+)
• New funding for ocean policy programs (F)

Highlights included the establishment of the Northwest Hawaiian Islands National Monument and passage of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Reauthorization Act. Inadequate funding for research in areas such as the ocean's role in climate change and the fact that the US still hasn’t signed on to the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea resulted in lower grades. With an average grade of C- (an improvement over last year’s grade of D+), clearly there’s a lot of work to do.

The JOCI’s report focuses on what the government is doing for healthier oceans and fisheries, but the responsibilities don’t fall solely on state and federal agencies. We as individuals, communities and organizations should be contributing to better oceans too, whether it’s through advocacy, participating in events such as beach clean ups, or choosing sustainably caught fish (to name a few).

How are we doing?

In my last semester as an undergrad, our courses were largely self-graded. I felt very justified in giving myself all A's. I'll do it this time as well... don't want to mar my 4.00 GPA.

You are absolutely right. In the end, all successful efforts will rely on individuals rather than governments. A government agency can set the best possible policies and pass the most stringent rules in favor of the environment, but if the individuals in society don't feel they apply to them, or don't try to ensure the rules are followed by others (as well as themselves), the best efforts will be for naught.

Oceana Diver:
The Joint Ocean Commission Initiative issued its yearly report card ... How are we doing?
Thanks for posting that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom