would like to scuba dive (after surgery)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
hi there i would like to scuba diver but i had a pneumothorax about 6/7 years ago and it was cut out in chest surgery and have not had any pneumothoraxs from that date come back, what i need to kown is can i diver can any one help in this matter. thank you:depressed::depressed:

Was this a spontaneous pneumothorax, or due to trauma? I believe the consensus is that the risks of diving after spontaneous pneumothorax are unacceptably high.

it was a spontaneous one they cut it out and glue it up have been ok from then about 6 years ago now

The problem with spontaneous pneumothorax is that it is a result of abnormality of the underlying lung. The recurrence rate for spontaneous pneumothorax is high -- although probably reduced by your pleurodesis (which, when you say "surgery" I assume you had). Still, the other lung probably has some of the same issues. A pneumothorax at depth could easily be lethal, so the recommendation is fairly strong that people who have had a spontaneous pneumothorax should not dive. I'm sorry to give you this answer, but it is what it is. I don't think you would find a dive shop or instructor who would teach you, once they knew what your history was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom