Would like to dive in south Florida in March-Any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are considering staying in the US for vacation this winter and coming down to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area for a week or so. Does anyone have any suggestions or good resources to plan a trip like this, such as dive ops and reasonable accomodations? Are there any travel agents that you know of that put together any packages? We may also want to take a couple of days and hit the Keys as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

You won't get a lot of response posting on our dive club's forum...I'm asking a moderator to move this to the area for divers who are in South Florida and then you'll get some replies.

You did, you posted in the South Florida Divers Dive Club forum. No problem. Enjoy your trip.

I always recommend Sea Experience at Bahia Mar, Capt. Bill Cole has been my go-to dive charter captain for nearly 30 years. You would get a special hotel rate at Bahia Mar on the beach, walking distance to many things so you don't even need to rent a car. Friendliest staff, big roomy stable boat with 4 stroke outboards means quick, quiet, smoke free ride. :thumb:

Deby as always offers a great op.

If you want to dive Miami, this link will help:

M J Beach
www.rjdiving.com
www.reefguard..org

If you stay in Ft Lauderdale, don't overlook some of the best diving available in FL - Palm Beach county - Boynton and Jupiter are superb sites. There is a ton of info available if you use the search function. Be prepared for a lot of reading.

Also - March can be "iffy" weather waise - we can still get cold fronts that really mess up the diving - high winds, high seas, etc - I read today that maybe this winter will be a little warmer than last, but who knows?

With a whole week, you can do lot's of good diving. Being that it's March, you can expect a cold front in that seven day period so keep Blue Heron Bridge in your pocket for the day the boats don't run.

Post your dates when you'll be here and some of the locals would more than likely join you. We love showing off our diving to the visiting divers. :)

I can't recommend any travel agents, but perhaps others can.

There's so much to choose from. Reefs and wrecks in Dade and the Keys. Dive for a couple days from a liveaboard off the Tortugas. Big fish off Jupiter and Boynton. If you're down for a week I'd try to catch a day in the upper keys and maybe run up to Crystal Springs for a manatee dive...maybe run down to Venice Beach afterwards to try to get in a shark tooth dive. Depends on your budget. You can stay in So Fla and beach dive your vacation or book a couple of dives a day with one or more of the really good dive operations we have here.

Feel free to peruse the board..there's lots of info already posted here.

I'm originally from Miami, but I don't think the diving there is all that great--IMHo, you are much better off in Fort Lauderdale and points north, and, of course, the Florida Keys. We love Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier, just south of Key Largo.

Scuba Diving Florida Keys/Key Largo/Tavernier

Unfortunately, however, the weather can be dicey at that time of year--we've been blown out twice during Spring Break. The Conch Republic dive boats seem to go out when others can't, but still the currents at Spiegel Grove and Eagle can already be wicked fierce at any time of the year.

I didn't know there was a Manatee Dive in Crystal Springs--we've only done the snorkel--but it is kind of a long drive from Miami.

Please excuse my inarticulate response...The trip I was talking about is in fact a manatee snorkel. I've been told that manatees aren't fond of scuba equipment's bubbles. Thank you Sorrows for catching that.

Thank you all for the good info! I was thinking about trying out the Springs, as well, as it seems that that you can get introduced to them without cavern or cave certs. I also realize it's hours north, but I think it would make a nice day or two side trip.

Any thoughts about that?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom