Worthy upgrade to A6000 kit + Meikon Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me, I'm satisfied by the quality offered by the 16-50mm lens with Meikon's wet dome that I can put on and take off without leaving the water. I understand wanting more if you're doing this for a living, but as an amateur vacation diver, I'd rather spend the money on more dives :)

You are right - I should not go down the $$$ route yet. I will keep 16-50mm and 30mm macro for now and probably add a meikon wet dome. I did order a viltrox adapter from amazon and that should allow me to use my canon lenses above water. I do have a bunch of canon L lenses that I rarely take along on vacations these days.

I have a Sony NEX 5N and the kit 18-55mm lens and am considering upgrading to the Sonly 6500. Just wondering how the 18-55 compares to the newer 16-50mm.

I never owned the discontinued 18-55, but the consensus has always been that it was actually slightly better than the 16-50 that replaced it but the 16-50 was more compact and had power zoom. (Neither were ever argued to be fine glass.) But, the 5N is far enough back that the body upgrade would easily outweigh the small difference between those lenses: higher resolution, greater dynamic range, IBIS, faster processing/operation and a night-and-day difference in AF. Seems a shame to put an a6500 behind the 16-50 (or 18-55, not that it matters since housings don't support the old lens so far as I know) since the camera is capable of more, but that's the frustrating world of Sony APS-C...

I got viltrox adapter from amazon today. I tried Canon 24-105mm F4L, 100-400mm MK1, 100mm F2.8L Marco, 50mm 1.8 STM. all worked with AF-S. but none worked with AF-C. 24-105mm worked surprisingly well and the weight balancing felt ok. I can see myself using 24-105mm as general walk around lens on a6300.

I have a Sony NEX 5N and the kit 18-55mm lens and am considering upgrading to the Sonly 6500. Just wondering how the 18-55 compares to the newer 16-50mm.

I'm not at all certain A6500 is worth the price premium over A6300. Its main advantages are IBIS and touchscreen, neither of which are of any use underwater, so you end up paying $400+ more for the exact same sensor and AF tech. Even for land shooting, that's a tough bargain, unless you shoot a lot with non-stabilized lenses. Underwater, a strobe or a video light is a much better way to spend $400.

I'm not at all certain A6500 is worth the price premium over A6300. Its main advantages are IBIS and touchscreen, neither of which are of any use underwater, so you end up paying $400+ more for the exact same sensor and AF tech. Even for land shooting, that's a tough bargain, unless you shoot a lot with non-stabilized lenses. Underwater, a strobe or a video light is a much better way to spend $400.

Agreed, with respect to underwater photography, if that's all the camera will be used for. Above water, I think it depends on what you shoot and what you shoot with.

Almost all (non-telephoto) full frame e-mount lenses, as well as all(?) non-Sony-brand APSC-C e-mount lenses don't have OSS built in (plus, there's unstabilized adapted lenses). So without the IBIS in the a6500, you've often got no source of stabilization unless you severely limit your lens selection. That may or may not matter to someone. If you don't care about shooting mostly static subjects, handheld, in poor lighting, without using excessive ISOs, then by all means save the money. Personally, I run into those situations a lot -- inside buildings (especially churches, temples, mosques, and historical buildings with poor lighting) or cityscapes and street photography at night. Also, a lot of people don't feel like IBIS+OSS is better than just either IBIS or OSS like Sony advertises, but I do -- at least situationally. Some people have surgeon-steady hands, but I clearly don't, and maybe that has something to do with it.

The touch screen makes moving the focus point easier, which is also situationally useful, above water. Sony desperately needs to completely overhaul it's entire user interface, but until they do the benefits of a touch screen are limited.

You make a really good point about lighting. Having better lighting -- when you can -- is a better solution to all of this than stabilization. Well, not the touch screen, but the rest of it. :)

I got viltrox adapter from amazon today. I tried Canon 24-105mm F4L, 100-400mm MK1, 100mm F2.8L Marco, 50mm 1.8 STM. all worked with AF-S. but none worked with AF-C. 24-105mm worked surprisingly well and the weight balancing felt ok. I can see myself using 24-105mm as general walk around lens on a6300.
I like your set, what are you planning to buy in the near future?

Back
Top Bottom