Worthwhile dive internship?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leo*

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there!

I am looking into becoming a dive master and I'm just wondering which way is the best way to go about it.

I have been diving off and on for a few years and am certified at advanced level and I know that this is the next step for me.

I am currently looking into the 6month internship with Dressel Divers in Playa del Carmen where you work for them for the 6 months and in return get your accommodation, free diving and dive master certification.

I do have experience diving, and am a fairly confident diver. The reason this course appeals to me is that you get at least one dive in everyday for 6 months before I become a dive master. I want to be as confident as I can be if I am going to be responsible for other people's dive experiences.

Are there any other places offering anything like this. Does anyone have experience with this internship is worth it? And if the company is reputable? It's really Important to me that I get trained so that it puts me in a position to become the best diver I can be.

Thanks!

Leora

There are many many places around the world that offer internship's, First of all I would consider where in the world you would like to dive and potentially work. From there you can narrow your search down dramatically. Then you have to think about your budget, however do not think that a cheap course will be as good as more expensive one. you get what you pay for. When I'm talking about budget, I really mean cost of living. How much is accommodation? bills/ electric, water, etc. Always always check for hidden costs, marine parks fees, kit rental, certification and manual fees. Make sure you get all the materials that are required.

There are so many options and variables to choose from. if you want some impartial advice please feel free to ask away.

From what I know, Dressels is a big company with a lot of turnover in their staff. Which means, IMO, that instructors are not staying, and there are usually reasons for that.
Having never worked for them (I avoid big company) it's only what I've heard from other instructors.

A long internship can be good, as you will have the time to see a lot of the aspects of the diving industry. But it's only from one company, and every company can do things slightly differently.

Try to make sure you will not end-up doing only the "crappy tasks"; you hear a lot of stories about DMTs and long insternships only doing what nobody likes to do, hey after all, they get free training!
You will be there to help for sure, but you will be there first of all to receive a training, make sure to find a company that actually does it.

As J@son said, find out about hidden costs/living costs, there are always some, it's never 100% free.

I do have experience diving, and am a fairly confident diver.Leora

Even if it's not only about numbers, with less than 50 dives (as your profile says), you might not be as experienced as you think. It's good to have confidence for what you intend to do, but being over-confident is never good.

There are many places around the world that offers long interships, SE Asia being popular.

I am in favour of DM as an internship program. It gives you a chance to get some real-world experience, as opposed to only marking off the required tasks. I did my course that way, and was very happy to have done so. And to get the additional diving experience as the OP noted above.

We offer 4- and 6-week internships in Cozumel, longer if you like, or if you need more prerequisite training.

Good luck with your choice, and enjoy your journey!

kari

Hello Leora

I was wondering if you ended up choosing Dressel Divers or if you found another place to get certified. I'm thinking of going in January 2014 and am looking for a cheap yet quality place to go

Lauren

I was wondering if you ended up choosing Dressel Divers or if you found another place to get certified. I'm thinking of going in January 2014 and am looking for a cheap yet quality place to go

No, I'm not going with dressel anymore, I did some research and asked around a few divers that I know and they said that they will not always do the divemaster course with you if they feel you haven't done enough for them, which could mean anything!

Instead I've booked to go with Utila Dive Center in Honduras (in Jan '14!). It's pretty reasonably priced and has a really good rep. Haven't heard from anyone with a bad thing to say about them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom