Worthington (XS) Steel Tank Valve Torque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've had three new Worthingtons from XS have o-rings split & extrude on initial fill after the time-honored "hand-tight + a bump" torque method. Replacing the o-rings with Viton (and again using the "hand tight + a bump") solved the problem. Now we're just junking the factory o-rings before the first fill.
Rick

I need to assemble 2 Worthington HP130's from XS and now I read that the included
O-rings might be junk? ***, they don't use Viton to begin with? Ok, should I replace and if so what size, or should I give a try first and see if they split and extrude...
I was concerned with the required torque to assemble the tank and Thermo valve, now I'm concerned with the O-ring issue. Am I overthinking this, or catching a potential problem?

Thanks,
Geoff

Hey Rick:
Worthington steel cylinders are sold with International (DIN/Yoke combo outlet) valves. The inlet o-ring suppied on the valves are manufactured from Viton. There is no reason to replace the "factory" o-ring. If you have an issue, give me a call.

Hey Rick:
Worthington steel cylinders are sold with International (DIN/Yoke combo outlet) valves. The inlet o-ring suppied on the valves are manufactured from Viton. There is no reason to replace the "factory" o-ring. If you have an issue, give me a call.
PM sent...
Rick

I use crow's feet and a torque wrench and tighten all valves to the manufacturer's recommendations.

I have several HC-4500's and I wanted to torque those babies properly - 180 to 200 foot-pounds. Since I had to buy the tools for the 4500's why not use them to properly torque all of my other tank valves?

Hey Geoff:
All of the valves, with the exception of the standard "K" valves, come from the factory with oxygen compatible o-rings. The standard "K" valves have BunaN orings installed at the factory.

Thanks Mike for the info!
I didn't say in my post that I had you upgrade to Thermo 300bar DIN valves/manifold.
So do I assume they have Vitons as well?

Geoff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom