Worthington X-Series 65

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfelliot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When shore diving, I use an AL80 and my wife uses an AL63. Our air consumption seem to follow PSI/PSI with these two sizes.

I'd like to move to steel using a X7-80 and X7-65 HP tanks and take some lead off.

At only a little over 16" in length, I've wondered if there are any problems with the tank weight being so "focused" in a small area with the X7-65?

Anyone (female?) have any experience with this tank?

It's a cool little tank, although it tends to disappear on dive boats in the tank racks. A lot of females do extremely well timewise with the small steel tanks - you might want to consider an HP100 for yourself.

Why not consider an X7-100 for yourself and an X7-80 for your wife? Then you both have cylinders roughly the same size as you are used to, but with more gas, and you'll take more weight off the belts.

Although the 80/100 combo would be cool for us with longer BT, the main goal is to take weight off of my wife for shore entry. We're 55 and 52 and shore entry over rocks etc is becoming more of an issue.

My calcs give a 8.5 lb decrease in "carry weight" for her going from an AL63 to the X7-65.

The 100/80 combo would be outstanding for a boat dive!

Look at it this way, cfelliot..... I'm happy as a clam with my 80s and I'm 5'-9". Lorna handles the HP100s fine especially in the water so I would not get too carried away with the stout cylinder. However knowing your wife I bet the HP65 would do her just fine. For the sake of having utility in the family I'd tend to go with the 80 which would serve either of you well on any given day. Dropping to the 65 will make the cylinder weigh 2.6 pounds lighter on her feet but only drops one extra pound of lead compared to the HP80. The 80 and 65 look to be the same price.

The big bang is getting away from the Catalina 63. Going to the HP80 will actually make the cylinder 1/2 pound heavier but drops 5 pounds of lead.

If weight reduction is the absolute prime objective then the HP65 is the winner with a cylinder weight that's 2.1 pounds less than the Catalina 63 and buoyancy that lets her drop 5.9 (6) pounds of lead. All told she'll be 8 pounds lighter on her feet while having a tad more air at her disposal.

I agree with others especially knowing your height that the HP100s would be a nice match.

Let me know if you want to take something for a spin some time.

Pete

Hey Pete!

I thought I might hear from you here!

I follow your thoughts, but I have one question. What good does the 100 do me if she's using a 65. Moya's my only dive buddy, more or less! Is there another reason you see a 100 as a better fit for me?

My major concern was in my original post - that being that the 65's weight is too localized. I have one piece of advice locally that says it is, but it doesn't make sense to me????

I guess the best test will be to see if I can get a 65 to borrow for her to try.

Chuck

cfelliot:
Hey Pete!

I thought I might hear from you here!

I follow your thoughts, but I have one question. What good does the 100 do me if she's using a 65. Moya's my only dive buddy, more or less! Is there another reason you see a 100 as a better fit for me?
If the current 14 CF difference between your 80 (77) and her 63 is a good balance then you are right that the 63 & 100 is not a good match in terms of air capacity. The 100 would probably trim out easier for you given your height. Additionally for the reasons I stated the 80 is a very close runner-up on the weight objective and has advantages such as universality amoungst the 2 of you in a pinch.

cfelliot:
My major concern was in my original post - that being that the 65's weight is too localized. I have one piece of advice locally that says it is, but it doesn't make sense to me????
We do have a mutual respected resourse at a LDS that is not a proponent of HP steel cylinders. You may have been told that they will make you "turtle". Do I turtle?

There is such a thing as being too concentrated. It's common to hear that HP80s as doubles are too dense of a package and can make you rock for and aft like a hobby horse. I would not expect the single HP63 to have this effect on your wife. But the proof is in the diving and really only meaningful after you gve time to tune the configuration unless you nail it coming out of the chute.

cfelliot:
I guess the best test will be to see if I can get a 65 to borrow for her to try.
Chuck
That would be nice but they are hard to come by, especially to try.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom