Worthington Industries adds to pressure-cylinder business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the technology is there, but until the laws catch up it does not do any good. And everyone knows our gov is more interested in finding new ways to tax us rather than really helping us.

As far as weight goes, unless you increase service pressure your not going to be able to reduce the weight of a cylinder. Increasing service pressure will decrease volume, thus displaced water, and in the end, the weight.

Yes, the technology is there, but until the laws catch up it does not do any good. And everyone knows our gov is more interested in finding new ways to tax us rather than really helping us.

As far as weight goes, unless you increase service pressure your not going to be able to reduce the weight of a cylinder. Increasing service pressure will decrease volume, thus displaced water, and in the end, the weight.

This debate have been going on since I started diving over 40 years ago. It is much like the current debate over CNG powered cars etc. What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Without an infrastructure to support ultra-high pressure air (5000+psi) what would be the point of introducing such cylinders. There was a huge resistance to 3000 psi air when the 72cf aluminums hit the market. Convincing 2000 North American dive stores to upgrade their compressors to service these pressures is nay on to impossible. The costs go up and compressor efficiencies go down. What would drive a store to make such an investment. Even the 4350 Luxfers represent a fraction of a percent in sales.

Just my two cents!

I'm just glad to hear that Worthington is thriving!

I have 3 Worthington and 3 PST 3442s and have not had any problem with either passing hydro. The 100s are my favorite and I like the 80s as well.

I've had nothing but good luck with my Worthingtons and I bought 'em from Leadking:)

Please, let's not start more rumors here. I have no vendetta against HP steel tanks... I'd love to get another one to replace the two that failed.

I have heard reports from several shops and individuals here in SoCal that they have seen Worthingtons failing prematurely. These may be due to boat fills which are notoriously wet in our area, and can ruin a tank within a year. Perhaps in other parts of the country this has not been a problem with any of the HP steel tanks being made, but it is well known to be a problem here as documented in several threads right here on SB.

My PST tanks are NOT Worthingtons and my anger about the PST failures in no way is being transferred to Worthington. Only one of my PSTs failed from moisture inside the tank. The other failed due to over-expansion (probably a result of hot fills from another shop). I'd be quite happy if the statements I've heard represent a very small percentage since I'd like to get another HP 120.

Agree that composite cylinders have more limited lifetimes. I don't remember what Andrea said the expected lifespan of her composite tank is, but it was not long enough to convince me to buy one

Fair enough. :D

This debate have been going on since I started diving over 40 years ago. It is much like the current debate over CNG powered cars etc. What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Without an infrastructure to support ultra-high pressure air (5000+psi) what would be the point of introducing such cylinders. There was a huge resistance to 3000 psi air when the 72cf aluminums hit the market. Convincing 2000 North American dive stores to upgrade their compressors to service these pressures is nay on to impossible. The costs go up and compressor efficiencies go down. What would drive a store to make such an investment. Even the 4350 Luxfers represent a fraction of a percent in sales.

Just my two cents!
I have had no problems getting properly rated SCUBA tanks filled to 4500psi. (AGA tanks)
Since all of the Dive shops near me also fill 4500psi and 5000psi Paintball tanks they are all set up for the higher pressures. Many of the dive shops that I have been in have 5000psi compressors even if their cascade isn't rated that high. Many of them can fill to higher pressures directly off of the compressor bypassing the cascade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom