Worthington AL40 vs Luxfer AL40 for Deco/Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaShaneVB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any opinion on whether one is better than the other at any specific task.

They both are very similar in dimensions. They also have the same weight difference from full to 500psi. However the Worthington starts heavier, and finishes heavier. -1.5 to +1.0. While Luxfer is -.7 to +1.8.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to that? Or does anyone know if one trims out better than the other?

Any input would be appreciated.

I'm not sure about the Worthington, but I know the Luxfers are considered to trim out well. If the heavier Worthington is anything like the Catalina, it'll be more negative than the Luxfer and therefore want to hang lower when full…but won't suffer as much tail-up float as it drains.

Personally, having used the Luxfer and the Catalina 40s as deco bottles, I prefer the heavier Catalina because it's not as floaty and properly rigged it won't dangle too much even when full.

Luxfer no longer manufactures scuba cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a bungie attached to a quick link on my backplate and pull the deco bottle up under my arm like side mount. This keeps it in the slipstream and prevents the tail-up profile of the empty AL tank. If you do that, I would think either will do.

Does anyone have any opinion on whether one is better than the other at any specific task.

They both are very similar in dimensions. They also have the same weight difference from full to 500psi. However the Worthington starts heavier, and finishes heavier. -1.5 to +1.0. While Luxfer is -.7 to +1.8.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to that? Or does anyone know if one trims out better than the other?

Any input would be appreciated.

The reg you put on it along with the gauge and hoses will make far more difference than the brand of AL40 you buy. In fact you probably won't notice any difference, if you do I suggest you take the pea out of your mattress before diving :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom