Worth Rebuilding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been given a ScubaPro reg set consisting on a Mk15 Primary, D400 Secondary, and R190 Occy. It is in VGC but has been sitting in a cupboard for many years, so will need a rebuild. Service costs here in Oz are highway robbery - can anyone advise where I might be able to get kits? I read mention about the fact that it is possible to get SP kits if you look hard enough, but i'm obviously looking in the wrong places!
I'm only thinking of using it as a spare / friends/ visitors set.

regs.jpg
Also, can someone help me identify what this is? It looks like a 2 port Yoke primary reg, but with no way of getting it onto the valve?

whatisthis.jpg

Looks like some kind of filler adapter that is hydraulically activated. Ie put pressure to it and it seals. It's kinda hard to see from that angle. Should be able to get kits on ebay. Or ask one of the new ScubaPro dealers on here to sell you a couple kits and mail em to ya.

That's one of the best performing reg sets ever made, but it is a little more challenging to work on than, or more accurately, less familiar to work on for most techs. Too bad you're not in TX, I could help you out as I have a whole bag of D series poppets and several MK15 seats. BTW, are you sure the alternate is not a G200? It's hard to tell in the photo.

It's a shame to relegate that reg to spare use; get it rebuilt, try it, and I suspect you'll prefer it to your current reg.

Thanks to both of you.

Halocline - the occy definately says R190 on the purge valve. I have a brand new set of HOG regs so not sure i'll switch, but I have certified friends with no gear who might like to borrow it on occaision. I got it for free so happy to service it for a lowish cost, but at $250 the store tried to charge me last time I got my Aqualungs serviced....

The 190 takes a few ordinary o-rings and a simple puck seat available from Trident p/n AA88 ....same as a 109 or AIR 2. If you cannot get your LDS to order the seat for you there is one in the 109 kit available at Vintage Double Hose. Shop Online

Thanks for all the info. My LDS came back with an expectedly high quote ($700) to do the service. Probably expecting that I would just buy a new set off him instead.
Mk15 parts seem to be the hard part of the equation, i'll keep hunting for parts though!

Cheers

The second item is the pneumatic yoke of a Scubapro pressure checker that they sold in the 70’s. At least that is what it looks like from the picture. The knob on the far side looks like the pressure relief, but the picture is not clear.

As other have said, that is an excellent regulator.

$700....that's got to be the biggest rip-off I've heard of in quite some time. I'd like the pressure checker, send me a PM if you want to talk about a trade. I'm not a certified repair tech, so you'll be taking your life in your hands.

Have you put the reg on a tank to see how it works? One really nice thing about the MK15 is that it combines the HP-friendly bushing system with the knife edge piston; consequently it can go a looonnnngg time without creeping. And the D400 has a very light spring, so there's very little pressure on the seat when it's not pressurized. The LP inflator hose looks like an Air2 hose, so you might need a different one for use with a standard BC

$700?......why I'll rebuild it for half that price including shipping. Just kidding, but it's time to find another LDS or better yet, join us in the DIY forum.

At first glance, I thought the other item was a MK2 outfitted with a MK6 yoke, but I'll bet Luis hit the nail on the head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom