Worth it to service/ repair Aqua Lung Titan requlator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skunkel

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I picked up some used gear on the cheap, when I was looking to put together and no frills rig for some local diving. The kit included a Aqua Lung Titan 1st and 2nd stage with octopus. Everything looked in good condition, and in good working order when I first checked it out. Then I decided I would take it apart and give it a once over before taking to LDS to be serviced (curiosity got the best of me). In the process I noticed that the regulator plastic body housing is broke, and I tore the cover piece taking it off (rubber was a little degraded). You can see the crack at the seam of the plastic housing where I am shining the light through. I'm curious if its worth my money to have the Dive Shop repair and salvage the rig, or is it a lost cause?

Pics here:
2015-05-11%2020.13.12_zpsg8501jh8.jpg

2015-05-11%2020.12.57_zpshh1pbzcy.jpg

2015-05-11%2020.12.31_zpsgcor5vag.jpg

Well generally I would say the cost of repair will be much less than buying new. So yes it is worth it. Well cared for regulators should last for many years. If you drop your regulator on the deck, step on it, or put your tank on top of it it may not last as long. Some of that are the hazards of diving but much if it is avoidable.

If you are able to source a body, I'd say absolutely service it! the Titan is a great reg and should last you a long time. Even if you aren't able to find a replacement body for the cracked second stage, there are plenty of titan seconds that show up on eBay eBay that would make a nice replacement.

Only you can decide if it is worth it or not. You need to weigh the cost of a new case and cover vs, purchasing another used titan second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom