Worth extra $ for air intergrated computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It sounds to me like AI is nice if you can afford it but far from essential. It's not that $200 is a whole lot of money to me it's that I'm planning on buying my whole set up at once, Aeris Atmos 2 nitrox console with download cable, Mares Abyss regulator, mares proton octo, Ziegle Ranger BC, and a Mares Isotherm Semi-Dry suit. Scuba toys has given me a very reasonable package deal for all of this but it's still a lot of money to spend at one time. I'm only open water certified right now and only have a couple of dives, but I want to make sure I'm not having to upgrade within a year, I think this set up should take care of me through advanced training, and hopefully I'll have no need to upgrade for a long time. Of course if they come out with a mask that projects your computers information right on the lens, I'll be all over that right away, that would be very cool. Thanks again for all the advice.:blinking:

I learned during some recent drills that my AI computer will alarm when your tank valve is turned off giving you a heads up that you have about 2-3 breaths left before you are OOA. That feature alone is worth the extra money for me.

I bought an Aeris AI as my first computer, and I'm glad I got the AI feature. I like having all of my information in one place where I can see everything in one look instead of having to check my wrist computer, then my SPG.

Personal preference, but I can't see myself ever having anything but an AI computer.

I dive with the VT3 which is a nice hoseless ai computer. I like it quite a bit and for the most part my primary air pressure source is my spg with the computer being a backup.

Some of what I've seen here is a bit unclear, for one of the examples you had what if you hit your ai computer on a rock and smash it? Well, now you don't have a computer either so your depth, nitrogen loading and other data is now gone as well. Assuming you were diving the computer plan how could you continue the dive anyhow, it's over no matter what you do. So just because it's ai does not mean anything additional, you can still retain your spg and use it as a regular computer.

For me the benefit is I don't have to write down my pressure readings to keep track of my air consumption for SAC calculations later on.

cummings66:
Some of what I've seen here is a bit unclear, for one of the examples you had what if you hit your ai computer on a rock and smash it?

Thumb the dive. Perform a safe, slow ascent. Watch my buddies computer at the safety stop. Surface interval of two hours, install my backup computer on my reg and continue diving.

A few extra minutes are not worth the risk. If my computer dies (or any of my live-saving equipment for that matter) I will thumb the dive for safety reasons and live to dive another day.

I believe, if an experienced diver is on his or her game, they could perform a routine dive without an SPG, and come to the surface within 100-200psi of where they expected to be.

If losing your SPG in the middle of a dive constitutes an emergency for you, you need to start planning a bit better on the surface. At least that's MY feeling. Others may disagree. :)

Jarrett:
I learned during some recent drills that my AI computer will alarm when your tank valve is turned off giving you a heads up that you have about 2-3 breaths left before you are OOA. That feature alone is worth the extra money for me.
Not trying to be a smart-***, but you should know long before you are 2-3 breaths away from being OOA, with a regular pattern of guage checks.

Jarrett:

How is this a valuable feature?

Soggy:
How is this a valuable feature?

Think of all the lives potentially saved from people jumping overboard with their valves turned off. Imagine going through a shipwreck and rolling your left post off. You could have an AI computer warn you that "dude" you have no air over here. It would beep and maybe even flash.

You don't think that would be useful?

:popcorn:

Perrone.... <smack>

I think that getting an AI computer to babysit you while diving is foolish. Learning to plan and conduct a dive safely should be paramount.

Yes, I could probably do several common dives with no SPG at all and surface right where I thought I would be in terms of gas remaining. Does that make it smart? Probably not, but I also wouldn't consider an spg failure an immediate emergency.

If my air being shut off constitutes an emergency that requires loud sirens and flashing lights, I should probably work on my comfort in the water instead of buying a fancy solution.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom