Worst dive trip ever!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people need to stay on the big boats, 6 packs take a better class of diver to really enjoy. IMHO

haha...Despite regurgitating my stomach contents on my first 6-pack with RAD...I'd like to include myself as a "better class" :p

Can't wait to dive SPEARIT sometime. I just know I won't be the one setting the anchor...lol

Ken, Im like you on this one. This is an old, dead, slanderous post with no current relavent status. Then someone with zero board cred comes along and tries to pick the scabs off again. Give it a rest.

6 pack diving is not for everyone. Smaller boats ride rougher than the giant cattle boats. There arent always the same amenaties as found on larger boats like toilets or running water. A lot of times groups that are familiar with the each other and familiar with the boat will have an opening and you may end up included with those divers. If they know each other, trust each other, and already speak each others language, dont consider it some sort of insult or lack of respect if you are not included in "the loop". If you dont liek the 6 pack dives, stick with the big boats or get your own. Just dont forget to seal the bilge pump through hole...... I think Ken knows who Im talking about........

haha...Despite regurgitating my stomach contents on my first 6-pack with RAD...I'd like to include myself as a "better class" :p

Can't wait to dive SPEARIT sometime. I just know I won't be the one setting the anchor...lol

LOL you did fine Dan, & I am sure you would do fine on any boat.

Getting sick & still having a great time (not crying about it on all the boards) on a small (28ft) boat 30+ miles off the Va. coast will definitely put you in the 'better class" of diver. IMO

WOW.. not to beat a dead horse but this one REALLY ran the drama gamut.

I have been with SB for a short time, not posted much, and I am a very inexperienced diver in the Swansboro, NC area. As a guy approaching 50 and interested in actually going on one of these charters I was at first horrified by the OP's "ordeal". However, after reading ALL of the follow-ups I feel I have received a valuable education and would like to thank all involved, including the OP.

My first instinct upon reading the OP was "why would he EVER get into the water if everything was going so badly?" I wouldn't... (that's the, thank you OP part - for what NOT to do if you don't feel safe)

I must admit though, my initial thoughts upon reading the OP was "wow, poor guy, what a horrible dive operation". After reading all the other posts I now have a balanced view of what may have occurred, and why, and I appreciate the time and effort people have put into presenting their views. It has helped me tremendously.

I had never even heard of the Spearit operation before this post and I'm glad I didn't come away with a bad opinion of it based on the OP. I can see how I might have had you all not contributed to my education.

Thanks!

:)

Not to sound like a pain, but you shouldn't tie your line to the anchor/anchor line. If the anchor comes loose then you are screwed and you have possibly lost your up line. Instead, tie near to the anchor so that if the boat is gone, you aren't left drifting in the Atlantic.

It has been my understanding, from what I was told by a mate on a boat here in the North Atlantic, after seeing where had tied in my reel (near the anchor but on the wreck), that I was better off tying my reel TO the anchor line so IF it pulls free I'm still connected to the dive boat.

NC has some great dive sites.

Last edited:
It has been my understanding, from what I was told by a mate on a boat here in the North Atlantic, after seeing where had tied in my reel (near the anchor but on the wreck), that I was better off tying my reel TO the anchor line so IF it pulls free I'm still connected to the dive boat.

I thought the same thing, initially...but that's not the best idea probably based on the rescue attempt if you were to be seperated from the line.

As a SAR Helicopter pilot, we'd do an expanding square (much like a search and recovery square) based on where you are expected to be...and the corrections based on the current since you've been reported lost. This is over the wreck/in the near vicinity of it. You'd have the best chance of survival being here with a safety sausage as opposed to drifting with a ship that you may accidently become seperated from.

I thought the same thing, initially...but that's not the best idea probably based on the rescue attempt if you were to be seperated from the line.

As a SAR Helicopter pilot, we'd do an expanding square (much like a search and recovery square) based on where you are expected to be...and the corrections based on the current since you've been reported lost. This is over the wreck/in the near vicinity of it. You'd have the best chance of survival being here with a safety sausage as opposed to drifting with a ship that you may accidently become seperated from.

That's good to know, thanks. I have been taught to tie a reel close to the anchor line but never on it.

It seems to me that it would be a bad idea indeed to tie a reel TO the anchor line. My guess is that if I did this and the anchor is dislodged, that the reel would either snap as the boat goes adrift or go flying out of my hands.

That's good to know, thanks. I have been taught to tie a reel close to the anchor line but never on it.

That's what I thought as well...I'll provide the mate with this information the next time I see him on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom