Worried about weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chetan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks
This is my first post at SB. Joined recently since I'm planning my first dive/vacation trip after getting my OW cert in July. Myself and family (wife+2kids) are travelling to Coz over this coming xmas week (getting there xmas day). I'm hoping to get at least a couple of days of diving in while there. Rest of the time will be spent enjoying the beach, some snorkelling and eating lots of food (staying at the cozumeleno).

I've been watching the 10 day weather pretty anxiously over the past.. ahem... 15 days or so. There's been showers predicted almost every single day this month. Yes I did read the FAQ and it looks like the weather may not actually be as bad as it looks from the forecast. But alarmingly, starting exactly the day we reach there, I notice the forecast, for the first time, predicts a dip in max and min temperatures along with showers. Is this the dreaded norte hitting cozumel ? Is there any chance that a novice diver (like myself) will be able to do any diving at all while this weather lasts ? Is there any special preparation I can do ? Is there a particular dive operator who's known for making dives happen, working around the bad weather patches etc. ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers. I'm desperate to get to dive... this whole, expensive vacation was planned around the idea of me diving combined with nice warm beach weather for the family. The whole concept seems to be under threat now.

Chetan

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the suggestion. I saw the Aldora east-side video (I've been perusing through these boards for a few days now). Unfortunately they seem to require advanced cert for east-side dives. As I mentioned, this will be my first diving experience after getting my Open Water cert :-(

Any other tips or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks
Chetan

I see that the Aldora website has changed substantially since I last looked at it. I see the AOW requirement for the east side diving. You might call Memo at Aldora (1-210-569-1203) to see what they might suggest.

They do have a larger boat that apparently can go out when smaller (less than some size) cannot.

Hi folks
. I'm hoping to get at least a couple of days of diving in while there.

Rest of the time will be spent enjoying the beach, some snorkelling and eating lots of food (staying at the cozumeleno).

Is there a particular dive operator who's known for making dives happen, working around the bad weather patches etc. ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers. I'm desperate to get to dive... this whole, expensive vacation was planned around the idea of me diving combined with nice warm beach weather for the family. The whole concept seems to be under threat now.

Chetan

There should be no threat to you getting in a 'couple of days of diving' since you're there for a week long vacation. And all the dive shops are expert at working around the weather, after all they are just about all in the same boat since they are under the harbor masters whim. If he closes the port to small craft, all with small craft are locked down. When he opens the port, they are all able to go back out, not a lot of magic to it.

Book with a good dive op and you should have no problems getting in a couple of days of diving in over your week there since nortes don't typically knock out entire weeks of diving.

Thanks Ron and Mike for your responses.

I know this could be a loaded question but I'll take a chance. Aldora has been mentioned already, any other reliable dive-op names I should know ? How about the house dive shop in el cozumeleno (if anybody has any experiences with them). My wife may decide to take a discover-scuba class too if the conditions are good... Basically I'm looking for an op that'll work with non-experts in a patient and safe manner :)

For a sure thing try Scuba-Du. You will not be disappointed, I promise. Ask for Antonio.
They work out of the El Cozmeleno, and the El Presidente. Tell Antonio Darol recommended you.
Have a great trip, and enjoy.

My better half went down a few weeks ago with a friend of hers and while there, her friend wanted to try scuba, so our property manager recommended Hernan Bacelis' newly named shop Scuba Planet(formerly Sherwood Depot) Hernan set her up with instructor Miguel. My wife was very impressed with how Miguel took care of our friend. First day they did a couple of shore dives & next time they did a boat dive at San Fransisco...staying on the shallow part of the reef. Our frind was so excited after the dives, she has decided to get fully certified before the next trip.

As far as the weather, I wouldn't let the forecasts damper your enthusiasm for your upcoming trip. You might take some type of windbreaker, just in case you do run into some showers. That boatride back can get rather chilly.

Mike

You may also be limited to days/ops available if you do not already have reservations. It is a holiday week = VERY busy. We have been completely booked up for several weeks already and I know many other reputable shops are as well.

Don't sweat the weather, nothing you can do about it and unless the harbor master closes the port for small craft (boats under 50ft), you'll get to dive rain or shine...the ocean is wet so rain is not going to stop the diving.

We took our 12 year old to do discover scuba to chankanaab and it was terrific. In fact we did it two days in a row. There are no currents there and an easy entry. PLUS there is plenty to see.
Aun underground river opens into the bay and you can swim in a few feet to see the magnificent tuna and other fish not to mention the cool effect of the salt and fresh water meeting which gives an eerie otherworldy glow.
That would be my most foolproof recommedation.
BTW when we were in Cozumel in Oct the long range weather forcast was for rain and clouds everyday. Worked out to be mostly sunny the whole time. What I didnt know as I was so focused on the weather was the dengue fever epidemic!

Back
Top Bottom