worried about medical clearance for certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Moon is right, Toni, we all want you to be safe. That is the most important thing. Honesty is the only way to get the real deal, even though some of us have been muzzled for it.

Be safe. You can do it, but you must give up a few things to do it properly, smoking and all that medication need to go, but speak to your doc.

LOL, that's no muzzle, those are arrows sticking in you :wink:

(It's been an interexsting day)

LuvDaOcean:
Wow...the last thing I expected on a scuba medical board was to get flamed for disclosing & asking for opinions about my medical conditions in regards to diving. eek!

Toni

Toni,

First, I have been reviewing the responses to your request for information and suggestions. I would have to say that they do not meet the definition of "flaming", as we look at it. Some of the opinions are strong ones, but this is a situation in which we would expect people to hold strong opinions.

Second, you have received what I perceive to be honest answers from concerned divers. Most are not medical folks, but their answers are still right in the ballpark.

The problem is this, you have a constellation of conditions that present some serious concerns for anyone preparing to take up diving. The good news is that you recognize the situation, and seem to be prepared to go about the process of getting checked out. Good on ya!

I know divers who smoke. One is a cave instructor of note. I do not. I do not recommend being a diver who smokes.

I know divers who are not in terribly great shape, and have high cholesterol levels. They engage in relatively relaxing dives, and survive. I would recommend that they get more regular exercise, and change some of their eating habits to cut their cholesterol level. I would recommend the same to myself! :wink:

I know divers who take Xanax, or an equivalent, and dive. It lowers their anxiety level to a "normal" or average level, and allows them to react to problem situations in what those without the need would call a normal way.

The problem here is that the constellation of conditions could be problematic, given the unique conditions involved in diving!

The cardiac stress test is something that you should arrange to do, and I gather you are going to do that. It will at least tell your docs something about your cardiac output capability.

As for the smoking, I will be blunt. It's time for the patch or the gum, bud! No joke! And you know in your heart that's true, don't you!!! :58: Cut out that smoking!

The next part of the equation is this. After the cardiac stress test, take the result of that to the doc who prescribes your Xanax and tell him what you plan to do. He should be able to evaluate your over-all state of health. Ask him if he will sign your Medical Release for diving. That will cover all of your concerns.

I applaud your desire to dive with your son. It is a great family activity. I would just point out that the folks who posted answers to you here are operating on the idea that it would be good if you remained around to do things with your son for many years! Caution here is not a bad idea.

I am not a doctor. I am a Diver Medic Technician. I do not offer a disclaimer for any of the above recommendations. They are bloody well just good common sense.

Good luck to you!

I'm not flaming anyone.

The fact that he is asking is admirable and important. He wants to know if he is going to be stepping into deep problems...IMHO he is.

Read the DAN statistics...please

The overriding theme in embolisms is panic attacks. On this board there are many examples of people who have, to their surprise, had panic attacks. Embolisms are not to be messed with...they are a serious problem. It is wonderful that he has been able to control these and lead a normal life. I only wish my daughter could have the same success. That does not change the facts about SCUBA and panic.

Medications -- DAN has lots of evidence that diving with medications is problematic.

Cardiovascular disease. Those who say that diving is not stressful are ignoring the wealth of data on heart attacks that have come from divers swimming in currents. While skiing, if you become overtasked, you can stop. Underwater in a current trying to get back to the boat you have fewer options. A mild heart attack is survivable on the surface and not underwater.

My point is that you can't look at the facts we were given to comment on without coming to the conclusion that you have read them all, multiple times, in fatal accident reports.

Therefore, go to DAN, find a doctor who is well versed in dive accidents and hyperbaric trauma, and try to figure out what the risk is. I would be surprised if the risk is not viewed to be extremely high. Then read a year of DAN's accident reports and see if you see yourself in many of them. At that point you can make an informed decision about SCUBA. But don't rely on this board to make that decision there is way to much at stake here.

Jerry

[Last, but not least, I hear you all about the smoking. More than anything, I would like to be able to just up and quit a habit that is stronger than heroin addiction and I will do my best to focus, focus, focus on that, but it's so much easier said than done.

Yes, it will be one of the hardest things that you ever do, but trust me, it is worth it. I quit Dec. 19th/03 - I smoked a pack a day since I was a teenager! I LOVED to smoke, but made the decision to quit (duh - I sing, too!). As soon as you make the decision, it does become a bit easier, but that is what you have to do - MAKE THE DECISION. It makes your quality of life so much better.

Good luck!

I want to thank each and every one of you who has posted on this thread for, what I consider to be very valuable opinions and advice. I'm very grateful for the time and attention that you've all spent addressing and assessing my situation. I do apologize if I came off as "dismissive" or defensive in my last post as that wasn't my intention at all. I especially want to thank those of you who responded with mature, straightforward, level-headed advice no matter how grinding the content.

I've just come home from the hospital lab after having my blood drawn for another lipid panel. The results will be available to my GP and myself in a couple of days. When he and I connect up re: the bloodwork, I'll then ask him if he'd be willing to arrange a stress test for me. I think the wisest thing to do in my case is to find out the results of the tests first before even considering asking him to sign off on the medical release form for certification classes. If the results of the tests come back favorable, I'll then defer to my prescribing psychiatrist re: my history with panic disorder. If both docs agree that I'm fit enough to scuba dive then I intend on pursuing it.

A couple of closing comments here:

Jerry, I am so very sorry to read that your daughter is caught in the panic trap. I truly do believe that with the right doctor and the right treatment she, too, can lead a perfectly normal panic-free life. Please give her my very best and tell her (often) that there IS hope.

reefsong, my psychiatrist and I have had a very close and ongoing relationship for the past 23-1/2 years. I see him on a regular basis so that he can keep a close eye on me, on my dose of medication, and on my life in general. I am not at all unhappy with my medical care - quite the contrary. He has specialized in panic disorder for nearly 3 decades, so I must disagree with your assumption that I'm under sloppy medical care. Also, I'm fully aware that I'm addicted to xanax. Of course, I am. Without a doubt. But, I am certainly not taking the medication to get a "buzz" therefore warranting the notion that I am an addict in denial who's a perfect candidate for NA. I will refrain from writing anything more to you about this subject since I'm not in any position to judge or categorize you without ever having met you or having had the benefit of knowing you personally.

If any of you are curious as to how things turn out for me in the end, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to share my results with you.

Again, many thanks to you all, and happy diving! :snorkels:

Toni

LuvDaOcean:
I've just come home from the hospital lab after having my blood drawn for another lipid panel. The results will be available to my GP and myself in a couple of days. When he and I connect up re: the bloodwork, I'll then ask him if he'd be willing to arrange a stress test for me. I think the wisest thing to do in my case is to find out the results of the tests first before even considering asking him to sign off on the medical release form for certification classes. If the results of the tests come back favorable, I'll then defer to my prescribing psychiatrist re: my history with panic disorder. If both docs agree that I'm fit enough to scuba dive then I intend on pursuing it.

If any of you are curious as to how things turn out for me in the end, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to share my results with you.

Again, many thanks to you all, and happy diving! :snorkels:

Toni

Toni,

Excellent! You are on the right track. Stay after it! Do us a favor, though, and come back to us to let us know what the results turned out to be, and why, if you would please?

Toni. Lots of good advice here. Close work with your doctor seems to really be the key. Just for information, my Kaiser doctor has been very helpful in getting my PADI medical waivers signed once a year and in consulting on ideas like "could I/should I stop taking hydrocholorthiazide when doing multiple dives over multiple days?" Note: we agreed on drinking even move water rather than stopping the medicine.

As all have suggest, work with your doctor. Kaiser has not been a problem for me.

And yes, give up smoking. Diving with sons ( I have 2 ) is an experience not to be missed.

Back
Top Bottom