Worm ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since John and I stirred the pot with our mystery crab, how about another poor picture of an unknown worm. Found on muddy cliff face in 87 fsw. Again, La Jolla Canyon in San Diego CA. salmon colored what appeared to be overlapping scales running along its back. It was BIG. I would estimate 12-14 inches. Semi-agressive. As John moved in to take the picture, it reared up toward him. Too bad he didn't get that shot. I gotta talk him into getting another camera!!

Here's the image in all its fuzzy off centered glory.

"... polychaetes have rarely been the subject of extensive investigation, and most species are described incidentally to other collections."
Quoted from one of my sources. But since this is a big photogenic worm from North America, it should be in a field guide somewhere. The dorsal "scales" resemble elytra, which are characteristic of the Family Aphroditidae (scale worms). If none of you California gents can tag the ID, I'll forward the pic to our resident polychaete taxonomist (who will likely just refer you to some obscure local field guide).

My aversion to polychaete identification is shared by most marine biologists... for very good reason. DOZENS OF FAMILIES, THOUSANDS OF SPECIES!!!

Polychaetes, or marine bristle worms, are a diverse group of annelids, with well over 10.000 species described. They live on soft and rocky environments on the sea-floor, from the intertidal down to the greatest depths. The group exhibits high degrees of variation and ranges in size from below a mm in length to several meters. There are a bunch of things you can find put aboput these creatures...

Safe Diving

divinman:
Since John and I stirred the pot with our mystery crab, how about another poor picture of an unknown worm. Found on muddy cliff face in 87 fsw. Again, La Jolla Canyon in San Diego CA. salmon colored what appeared to be overlapping scales running along its back. It was BIG. I would estimate 12-14 inches. Semi-agressive. As John moved in to take the picture, it reared up toward him. Too bad he didn't get that shot. I gotta talk him into getting another camera!!

Here's the image in all its fuzzy off centered glory.

StingRob:
Polychaetes, or marine bristle worms, are a diverse group of annelids, with well over 10.000 species described. They live on soft and rocky environments on the sea-floor, from the intertidal down to the greatest depths. The group exhibits high degrees of variation and ranges in size from below a mm in length to several meters. There are a bunch of things you can find put aboput these creatures...
Safe Diving

Yeah but what IS it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom