World's Largest Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I have booked a family holiday cruise on the Queen Mary 2 through the Caribbean. We have been on 3 "real" liveaboards and many land based dive resorts from the South Pacific to Central America and the Caribbean. So why are we posting this question....?

We figure we need some "breathing" room from the relatives during the cruise. The ship offers dive excursions, but we are avoiding those if possible after reading posts about cruise ship divers and dive operators.

So we are seeking advice and recommendations on diver operators on the following islands:
Bonaire
Grenada
Barbados
St. Lucia
Dominica
St. Kitts
Tortola

Thanks in advance for your advice. We will let you all know how the Queen's Liveaboard goes!

My wife and I had our honeymoon in Tortola and Bonaire.

In Tortola, we used Dive Tortola (1-800-353-3419diving@divetortola.com) and had a great time. I’m not sure how they work with cruise ships, but I know we swung by a moored sailboat on the way to a dive to pickup 3 or 4 divers once, so they’re accommodating where they can be. They don’t always dive the Rhone though. We dove it twice in a week of diving (call ahead).

In Bonaire, we stayed at the Plaza (not far from town where the ships dock) and used Toucan Diving (1-800-766-6016 info@toucandiving.com). They’re a great operation and their house reef (Eighteeth Palm) is very nice (not the best dive on the island, but very healthy and lots of fish). You will need to take the Bonaire Dive Orientation and buy the Marine Park Tag before diving anywhere on the island.

I’ve also heard good things about Divi Dive Bonaire at the Divi Flamingo (011(599)717-8285) (even closer to the cruise ship dock), but I never dove there, so I’m not sure what their house reef is like (I’m sure others will chime in). It also appears that Divi has a Barbados operation. You might want to try their number for Aruba, Barbados, Bonaire, St. Maarten (800-367-3484).

Enjoy!

GradyDiver,
Thanks for the info - it will be a unique experience trying to get in a quick couple of dives when surrounded by 2,600 other passengers upon touching down on each port.

You're welcome.

My wife and I actually got our Open Water certs on a cruise. We were in line and got 2 of the last 3 slots. Life could have been completely different if we took a wrong turn.

Enjoy your cruise!

Dive if you must in Dominica -- Nature Island's the best op there, IMHO -- but you'll miss that to-die-for landscape. With only one day in the Nature Isle, a trip to Trafalgar Falls (bring decent shoes that can get wet -- you'll want to climb over the slick rocks to get into the pool), the hot springs & Titou Gorge (all 3 can be done in one outing) would be a great way to spend it.

We're actually planning some topside adventure as well. We are doing (at least) 2 dives a day for 5 days. We already booked Ti Tou Gorge and I believe Trafalgar Falls. We're meeting a group there and we'll all figure out the rest together. My wife and I both have decent water shoes (I figure our Henderson Gold Core booties or DUI rock boots would be overkill). Haven't decided on renting a jeep or not. We're staying at the Fort Young which is close to town, but I'm not sure if we'll want to venture out beyond that on our own. This is our first trip to Dominica so helpful advice is welcome.

How is the crime situation there? Like Bonaire with some petty crime or is there anything worth being concerned about?

Thanks.

Grady - Good plan! A driver-guide is a big load off. We always rent a regular car in DOM since we've never had to go off road -- the roads themselves are enough of a challenge! -- and we like to have a trunk for our junk. Car break-ins aren't common in Dominica, though we never leave anything exposed inside a parked car in any part of the world -- even at home!

The locals will help you & watch out for you -- they'll tell you where not to go. Dominica has an effective approach to crime against tourists, who are really important to them since they get so few. If someone is convicted of a crime against a foreigner, the punishment is double. So you don't have anything to fear -- even if it looks creepy, it's basically OK.

There are some panhandlers and homeless in Roseau but most are very polite. The Fort Young has a great location. Try dinner at their bar instead of the restaurant. Better food and service in our opinion, less expensive & sometimes you can speak with interesting people there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom