World's Largest Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lmurphy

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I have booked a family holiday cruise on the Queen Mary 2 through the Caribbean. We have been on 3 "real" liveaboards and many land based dive resorts from the South Pacific to Central America and the Caribbean. So why are we posting this question....?

We figure we need some "breathing" room from the relatives during the cruise. The ship offers dive excursions, but we are avoiding those if possible after reading posts about cruise ship divers and dive operators.

So we are seeking advice and recommendations on diver operators on the following islands:
Bonaire
Grenada
Barbados
St. Lucia
Dominica
St. Kitts
Tortola

Thanks in advance for your advice. We will let you all know how the Queen's Liveaboard goes!

In Tortola the cruise ships are hooked up with Sail Caribbean Divers, who are a pretty professional outfit. The daily excursion is always a two tank dive on the Wreck of the Rhone, which is a pretty decent dive (RMS Rhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Last edited:
Can't wait to here about your trip... Some friends of mine were thinking about doing the same type of cruise, but got delayed... Something to do with a steel rod sticking out of his elbow... He can't find a wetsuit to accommodate his new but temporary bling, bling... He did sell the motorcycle though!

Last edited:
Honestly, this is one ship that should not stop in Bonaire. It is much too large.

Damn, we will be on the island when it is in port. A good day to stay away from downtown.

Rhone Man,
Thanks for the advice. The Wreck of the Rhone is one of our favorite dives in the BVI and it is good to know that Caribbean Divers is reputable.

Do you know if they are a rendevous operation or will they pick us up and go directly to the Rhone?

K9Pig:
Sorry to hear about your friend's accident, my husband has done the same. We will post a follow up to this new dive adventure in January.

Ted,
Sorry about the Queen arriving while you are there. The news is even worse, as I think there will be other cruise ships the same day. Head for the other side of the island.

How was diving on Cayos? 2 years ago we spent the week in La Ceiba waiting out a storm to make the crossing to Cayos. Even Roger was stuck on the mainland with us. We are planning on returning next spring.

My trip report for my time on Cayo Menor is here.

I think we will just spend our time in the north part of the island while the ships are in port. Last year we were diving off of the Divi when a ship came in. Before we entered the water we could see it in the distance. We could hear it for the whole dive.

Rhone Man,
Thanks for the advice. The Wreck of the Rhone is one of our favorite dives in the BVI and it is good to know that Caribbean Divers is reputable.

Do you know if they are a rendevous operation or will they pick us up and go directly to the Rhone?

Yes, they pick you up and drop you off from just next to the cruise ship dock. You'd be back by lunch time. Have a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom