World’s greatest shallow-diving destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Puerto Aventuras on the Yucatán mainland.

Some of the dive-resort house-reefs in Raja Ampat are very nice & shallow like Missol Eco Resort, Raja4 Divers in Pulau Pef, and Raja Ampat Dive Lodge.

You can see a bird’s eye view of the house reef of Raja4 Divers in my trip report to Pulau Pef, Trip Report - Pulau Pef - Little Raja Ampat Trip Report

In Raja4 Divers house reef, there is a 4-foot giant clam (~ 50 years old as giant clam growth rate is about an inch / year) in 20-foot depth with soft coral growth on its shell. You can see Walking Sharks roaming around in the evening. Very pristine reef.

Lembeh in Indonesia.
Tulamben comes no where near!

How to get to Indonesia over next few months is another story.

Agreed 100%. Tulamben is IMO not a dive destination. It's an okay place to dive if you're in Bali for a holiday. Besides, the USS Liberty is 30-80ft, not <30ft.

Catalina Island Dive Park
La Jolla Cove
Lots of other shore dives in So Cal along the coast

Maui -lots of shallow shore dives close to shore

St Croix Frederiksted Pier (I could dive this every day for a week)
St Croix Cane Bay (100 yard swim to reef and after that there is a deep drop off)

Have you checked out shorediving.com ?

Bermuda. Shallow diving everywhere. Short flight too.

You already mentioned Key Largo, which offers shallow reef diving over a flat bottom (but also deep wreck options for those who want them). Bonaire shore diving would let you cruise the upper strip of a sloping wall, and there's a site called The Cliff that'd be really nice for this type of dive.

One I haven't seen mentioned is St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. I've only got 4 dives there. 2 Were referral OW training dives (max. depths 25 and 35 feet deep; no idea whether they were named sites or not); 2 were recreational dives on a cruise stop, at Armando's Paradise (max. depth 43 feet) and Navy Barges (max. depth 39 feet).

I think roughly 40 feet max. is more practical than 30 if not shore diving, but diving over a flat 'hard bottom' may be more mentally reassuring than over a sloping or vertical wall.

Roatan’s South side, from French Key then East to Calvin’s Crack.

The coral heads run 5 to 40 deep marking the top of the vertical wall. Stay on top, the best stuff is there, anyway!

B70EBDC6-E602-43AE-B3FE-B5FF19EB9FFB.jpeg

Shore dive available 24/7:
AC22AFA5-2513-4E80-A18C-46FCF50DFEE6.jpeg

An intact 140’ wreck in 65-35’ sand, top in 22fsw, a shore dive....
C344C501-536F-4B7D-88F5-D85AC570C04A.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom