World Underwater Photo Championship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mariozi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The WUF - World Underwater Federation
(aka. CMAS)
Holds every other year the World Underwater Photo Championship, I have had the honor to be in 2 of these events (Egipt 2000 as model and Marseille 2002 as the captain of the brazillian team). And both times I dont remember seeing the USTeam...
Although there is no official US Federation listed in the WUF site, the TDI- Technical Divers International is listed under "international organization affiliated with WUF", other than that PADI has an agreement with WUF for recognition of certification.
One problem I found while registering here is that the WUF/CMAS was not listed under the certification agencies.
WUF site is www.cmas2000.org
I have pictures from past World Underwater Photo Championship and will post them in my galleries for all to see.
Here in Brazil we united most of the UWPhotographer and organized our National Championships, and we are sendind teams regularly o thw WUWPC.
And we miss US there, because we know of so many great american UWPhotographers!!!

If the event were held in Florida or the Caribbean, you would see a lot of Americans! The last time I went to Egypt in 2003, I didn't meet any other Americans.

Also, CMAS is virtually unknown in the US.

Yeah,
Wich I think it is a pitty.
Here in Brazil CMAS was something like "outfashioned" but the most active uwphotographers got united and we found a way of creating an "association" - Comission of UW Photo & Video - and started organizing the National Championship.
I dont believe distance is the problem, you guys are use to travel all around the world, even here!!!
The thing starts with the creation of a "federation" something like UWPhoto Federation UWPF for instance, and then you find a way of organizing competitions. Here in Brazil since we dont have as many divers as you, we only had National events, this year we are going to have the 2 first state championships in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.
This Board is a good place to start such a thing, make use of the structure you already have: TDI is already recognized by WUF, contact them to create an UWPhoto Comission under their wing, find a way of accepting divers from other certification agencies, and create your championships! Its easy, fun, and very nice to represent your country on a international event!

The World Underwater Federation (WUF/CMAS) announced that the next Reload this Page World Underwater Photo Championship will be held in Mauritius Is. on 9-14/May/2007!!! Anyone interested?:wink:

Both the "ASSOCIATION CANADIENNE DES JEUX SUBAQUATIQUES" and the "ASSOCIATION DES MONITEURS DE LA C.M.A.S. DU QUEBEC" appears as affiliated in the CMAS/WUF site:

http://www.cmas2000.org

But only the ACJS is listed under the Sport Comitee, so I think they should organize one national event (even if by sending images) to see who should go... you should contact them.
I dont remember seeing one Canadian Team on the World Championships I ve been to (the last 3 Egipt 2000, France 2002 and Spain 2005).

This is the list of all national federations associated with CMAS/WUF:
http://www.cmas2000.org/general/federations/toutes.asp

Hope I see you in Mauritius!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom