Working with dive shops as an independent Instructor (or even DM)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Recently I alluded to an article I wrote and that was published in my agency's quarterly journal. I have gotten several requests for a copy and rather than having to send email after email I'm just going to post it here. I did update a few details as my current circumstances are different than when it was first written but it is the same article:

Working with Dive Shops as an Independent Instructor
By James Lapenta SEI Diving Instructor #204
Recently I posted an offer to dive shops regarding working with independent SEI Diving Instructors on the message board known as Scubaboard. As of this writing I have received two offers for SEI Diving Instructors to contact them. The idea for this came from my own arrangement with a local shop. The new owner of this shop is a diver and an instructor. As such he has nothing to lose by allowing a number of independent instructors to use his facility. And everything to gain. This is why even though there are 6 instructors from 3 different agencies there are no issues other than scheduling pool time. And in this economy with limited classes being conducted this is not a problem.

I also have invited Scuba Educators International Instructors to join the message board and let new divers and not so new divers know where they may find one of us. Hopefully, by doing so you will enjoy the benefits of free advertising to a world wide audience. The result of which is more students. My own experience with this is that divers will travel and spend money for a quality education. I have had students travel hundreds of miles to take my Advanced Open Water class and Rescue class.

It was announced at DEMA that we are revising and introducing a number of courses. One that I am involved with is the AOW class. I have taught the new class a number of times and the results have been wonderful for me and for the students.

More about that in a later article. What I am mentioning this for is that as an independent instructor, who does not have a large supply of student gear, I require the services of a shop for tank and equipment rentals, a pool, air fills, and a source for my students required personal gear.

With the internet and internet retailers they could buy their gear from that source but for things like masks and boots that require a proper fit a local shop is still the best option. In fact even with the discounts available on line they many times do not make up for the service and convenience of the local shop. For this reason it behooves the independent instructor to develop a relationship with a local retailer. Now for many this may be more trouble than it is worth on the surface. Many, if not most, shops have an in house staff of instructors or the owners themselves are the chief or perhaps only instructor. They may also be affiliated with a particular agency that discourages allowing instructors from other agencies to use the facility. How do we establish a working relationship with these owners? There are number of ways to do this.

The first thing we need to do is get our own thinking and attitude straight. We must not look at the shop as competition. Even though they may be we are the ones who need them. That they need us in this economy may not occur to them at the time of our approach. We need to show them how we can help them. It is also a time to be careful when extolling the virtues of the SEI Diving Program. Even though we teach to standards that may be higher than the ones they ascribe to we must not appear arrogant or condescending. We all have run into other instructors and shop owners whose ego sometimes is quite large. At the same time we do not have to stand for them belittling our program. If this would occur we simply thank them for their time and leave. If however they show some interest in the idea we have the opportunity to improve not only our business but theirs as well.

It is at this point that we can begin to point out the advantages of working with an instructor who has perhaps a different customer base, a flexible schedule, and best of all for the shop, no restrictive agreement with an equipment manufacturer! This can be a big plus for the instructor looking to get in good with a shop owner. Any time we can use a simple fact to convince them that we are looking to improve the bottom line for everyone we should. When we point out that we can not only send them students for personal gear but also for air fills, maybe a BC, regulator, or dive computer we are establishing that we plan to send them even more money.

The problem we may encounter with this is the tendency to fall into the bad habit of putting the interests of the shop before that our students. As SEI Diving instructors, and dive professionals in general, we must hold to the belief that the best interests of the student is our primary goal.

We should never be pressured into selling our students items they do not need, want, or cannot afford.

While we can suggest that they consider a certain regulator or buoyancy compensator, if they cannot afford it or will not benefit from its features it is best to not push them into anything that may come back to bite us or the shop down the road .

This could cause conflict with the shop owner who is trying to sell an extra 5 top end regs he got in a deal at DEMA, only to find out that divers in his area don’t or won’t spend that much money right now. He/she may expect you to push it on your students. This needs to be made clear from the outset. Even if the owner elects to take you on as an actual employee and you agree to make those recommendations, do not compromise your values or ethics. When working with a dive shop, or as some like to call them now “dive centers”, we must remember who we are actually employed by and who we serve- our students.

This does not mean we cannot suggest items but we must never lose sight of the fact that our program is based on skills and education as opposed to profit but if we are to support the shop and maintain a facility to use we may need to walk a fine line.

Now that we have found a shop and made an agreement we need to work on developing and improving the arrangement. We can do this by making sure that we respect any other instructors he may have working there, the agencies they certify through, and maintain our own standards. If we do this we do not alienate anyone, most of all the students and potential students. If we can maintain this arrangement we have the opportunity to perhaps encourage those we come in contact with to take a serious look at Scuba Educators International and perhaps increase our instructor ranks. While this is not our goal it is very likely to happen.

If it does then be prepared to answer any questions they may have and welcome them to the fold. But if it does not we can still maintain a good relationship and perhaps even begin to take on students that they may not be able to accommodate. In some areas where they do have a large customer base to draw from, such as a college town, even in this economy they may run into situations where the shop staff is not sufficient to meet student demand. We can help here. If they choose to use us in this manner we can certainly accept the students. But here again we need to be perfectly clear as to what the actual relationship is. We must be able to certify the students under SEI Diving standards, they will get a full SEI Diving education, and we will not cut corners or push anyone through who does not meet our standards. As long as this is understood and accepted again it is a win for all parties involved.

The more we work with shops the better the relationship can be. Now just how much work do we do with the shop as opposed to for it. In my own case whatever I can do to make classes easier is working with the shop. For me that has involved things like filling all the pool tanks when I only need two or three, picking up gear that other classes may have used and not stowed properly, and offering to rinse and hang up rental gear. The latest thing I’ve done is go in and spend an evening installing hooks and new pegs to hang up gear. I did this at my own expense to the tune of $12.58. The reaction of the owner was worth ten times that when he sold me a new BC at cost. Did not even charge shipping as it was included in a larger order. I try to do something each time I use the pool that takes all of 5-10 minutes to clean something or put something away. In the shop I will straighten a display while just talking with the owner or after a student picks it up and examines it. These kinds of things are noticed and result in benefits such as discounts for me and my students, key man deals whenever they come around, and the trust that comes to those who earn it. The shop normally closes at 6PM. My pool sessions can run until 8 or 8:30. That would be a problem under some circumstances but here it is not. He goes home, I lock up when I’m done, and I go home.

Now is this being a shop employee when I do these little things. Maybe but I look at it as securing my own business and maintaining my resources. They may in fact be owned by someone else but if we treat them the way we would want our own things treated then we are in fact preserving and maintaining our own livelihood. Many times the relationship between shops and instructors who work for them is less than optimal. Growing up I was introduced to how to treat employees by my grandfather. He owned a grocery store and treated all employees he had as coworkers, not as employees. As a result they were loyal, willing to go to extra lengths to support the business, and felt a part of it. If we can foster the same type of cooperation with our local shop we can enjoy the same feelings and we, the owner, and our students will all reap the benefits.

When we establish a good relationship it is one that can be as long lasting as we choose to make it. It can benefit the shop, the instructor, and the student. The key to any joint venture is cooperation between the parties involved. Cooperation is a two way street but someone has to begin the drive. As professional members of one of the finest scuba training agencies on the world we owe it to ourselves and our students to develop and make use of whatever resources we can to see that they receive the best education possible. Securing the use of equipment, classroom space, and pool facilities as well as having a place we trust to send our students to for their equipment will only insure the growth and longevity of our agency. As we are still growing and have some limits on our resources it is our reputation and word of mouth that will bring us new divers.

Only by maintaining the highest standards is how we can guarantee that Scuba Educators International with our 50 year tradition of excellence will celebrate another 50, 75, or 100 years as a premiere training agency. Technology changes and new developments are made every day. What does not change, at least so far, is that humans cannot breathe under water. They need equipment and training to do that. We need a source for that equipment. So go out and make new friends with a shop, talk with them, work with them, demonstrate how SEI Diving is good for their business. I firmly believe that what goes around comes around. We may not see the 1 mile run between pool skills or pushups with tanks on, but the consumer is getting more cautious and looking for value. We provide that value. Let’s get that out to as many people as we can. Scuba Educators International, with a long history of traditional skills and education based training, is the future of diving!

Back
Top Bottom