Working in the phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reevo

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, i should be finishing my DM certification within the next week and in October i was thinking of heading to the phillipines and trying to find some work.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this. Do i need to get Visas etc or are things pretty informal there. Any advice welcome as i have never been there.

Thanks.
Andy.

I talked to some guys while in the PI and they said there is a specific way to do it, with getting a multiyear work visa, it costs a bit, but it is still small enough to be no problem.....the thing to do is make some contacts with resorts and the ones who will actually hire you should be able to handle things for you no problem.

I suggest that you proceed to instructor level first before heading down here for work. Divemasters couldn't do anything except to practically guide dives and watch the shop, something that many of the locals in the area are employed for already. Shops would want someone who could also at least teach 2 or 3 courses...

Ok, thanks for the info. I will try and contact some of the shops and see if anything is available.

I was thinking of going for at least my Assitant instructor certification but i dont have the time here to do it and they dont have the manuals in English so maybe i could study it in the Phillipines which would make it more in demand so to speak:)

Axua say is right...you must proceed up to OWSI certification....
After you finish dive master course you can take IDC

It is better if you are an instructor before getting to the PI. Our diveguides (locals) are DM's and are working their way to instructor. This will offer you more opportunities. I also suggest you get an outboard engine certification aas well. A DIVEGUIDE/INSTRUCTOR/MECHANIC is worth his weight in gold 100 times over!!!

reevo:
Ok, thanks for the info. I will try and contact some of the shops and see if anything is available.

I was thinking of going for at least my Assitant instructor certification but i dont have the time here to do it and they dont have the manuals in English so maybe i could study it in the Phillipines which would make it more in demand so to speak:)

forget about the AI, thats a waste of money. That doesn't have any value here. Take the IDC with an outfit here in the Philippines and they might even absorb you when you are done with the IE. take a look at the IDC offered by asia divers. They are the only CDC (career development center) in the Philippines and they do help out there students look for work after the IE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom