Working diver missing - Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The search for a missing diver is ongoing in the waters off Rick’s Reef Friday morning.

The 35-year-old diver was conducting contract work to support telecommunications on Thursday morning when his colleague reported that he never returned to shore, according to the U.S. Coast Guard Forces Micronesia/Sector Guam. He was last seen just outside the reef line off the Alupang area.

Units with the Coast Guard’s Frederick Hatch, a USCG Station Apra Harbor response boat, the U.S. Navy’s Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron, Guam Fire Department jetski operators, boat crews, and divers, and the Guam Police Department have been searching the area since he was reported missing yesterday around 10:36 a.m.

The search continued overnight, but rescue crews had no luck finding any signs of the diver.

He was last seen wearing a black wetsuit with orange fins, and he has a spare oxygen tank.

The local fire department is also using a drone as part of its search efforts.

“At this time, no new discoveries reported,” said GFD spokesperson Kevin Reilly. “Weather and sea conditions are currently favorable and operations will continue throughout the day.”

I've been away from the boards for a while, and I notice a distinct down-tick in the amount of speculation that I'm seeing in these posts. That's probably a good thing. But there is also a lack of discussion, which I think isn't as good. So, doing my bit....

I don't know the Rick's Reef area very well...it was always more of a surfing spot than a dive spot, but Alupang is mostly a very shallow reefline ( inches to 1 or 2 feet depending on the tide) that drops to a still very shallow sandy bottom (maybe 10 to 30fsw....maybe 40 in spots). If any current or former locals want to correct my 25-year old recall, please do.

Whenever I see 1) Shallow site, 2) Some kind of work being done (it sounds like this might have been some kind of survey, or inspection with the mention of "work for the telecom") and 3) CCR, I start to worry about over-breathing the unit in shallow water.

I don't know the model of CCR. I don't know the diver, although his name and face are familiar to me. I think CCR-specific training usually covers "minimum" depths at which everything's going to be working correctly. So, my 1-2-3 combo is just an attempt at something that fits the few details we know.

My condolences to the friends and family of this diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom