"Working" Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karibelle:
One day on a dive in Cozumel, one of my group found a money clip with a couple hundred dollars in it... that counts, doesn't it?

I'd call that a treasure find...salvage rights come in to play here.....

Hey all,
I just started my Divemaster Candidacy. I'm not sure I will ever really want to pay my insurance...there's just no way I think I could recoup it. I was thinking about just stretching out my DMC as long as I can until I decide if I want to take my AI, or my OWSI. The thing I find problematic with it is that half the reason I signed up for the class was for the training, and the dive theory. PADI simply doesn't offer this level of course in a non-professional course.

I'm also the treasurer/former VP of a local scuba club that offers the training. Our instructor needs DMs to help with the classes, and that is one of the main ways we get new members, so me being a DM-C also helps out the club a lot.

Tom

b1gcountry:
Hey all,
I just started my Divemaster Candidacy. I'm not sure I will ever really want to pay my insurance...there's just no way I think I could recoup it. I was thinking about just stretching out my DMC as long as I can until I decide if I want to take my AI, or my OWSI. The thing I find problematic with it is that half the reason I signed up for the class was for the training, and the dive theory. PADI simply doesn't offer this level of course in a non-professional course.

Maybe not formally, but you could get the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and the Diving Knowledge Workbook, and get a lot of the same information...

I'm also the treasurer/former VP of a local scuba club that offers the training. Our instructor needs DMs to help with the classes, and that is one of the main ways we get new members, so me being a DM-C also helps out the club a lot.

Tom

If it's going to help the club a lot, then why not ask them to cover your insurance? I'd expect that you should get paid (a pittance) for helping with the classes, so you'd eventually recoup your cost for insurance, wouldn't you? :)

Part of the problem is we don't teach too many classes per year. Typically 2 OW, 1 AOW, and 1 Rescue. The fringe benefits come from
A. usually getting a free ride and admission to the lake/quarry, and
B. The cost of the class was pretty cheap. Basically materials. Any dive shop in the area is charging about twice as much. Some more.

That goes for while I'm a DM-C. I'm truly not sure what happens when I get my full DM. I was thinking about helping out with some of the shops I'm friendly with as well, and getting reimbursed that way (plus the equipment discounts might let me get that new DUI CF200....)

Tom

<said in Homer Voice>
"Mmmm.....CF200....Ooouuuuu"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom