Working after our DMT in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aribja

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello fellow divers!

Starting from the 5th of June my girlfiend and I would like to start our DMT in Koh Tao. This will take about a month and afterwards we want to try to find work as divemaster within South East Asia or Australia.

We both have around $4500 AUD (=+-€3000) on our bankaccounts right now, with the flight and insurance etc already in the pocket. These 4500 dollars would be spend on the course, overnighting, food etc. etc.

My question is, do we have enough money in order to fullfill our dreams: Do our DMT and find work as a DM, while still make a little bit of money out of it. Im worried that once we finished our DMT, we got just 500 dollars left on our account, with no work, and nowhere to go really.

Do you suggest to earn some more money first?

Cheers,

Aribja

You posted this on facebook too but i'll reply here.

Basically to work in Asia you need to be instructors. In most of the countries the DM jobs are done by locals and teaching jobs by foreigners. Unless you speak a combination of very useful languages that is.

In addition to that, i dont know of a single country that will give a work permit to someone who is only a DM so legal work is near impossible in the region with that.

One other thing, a lot of dive centres will throw a CV that says "DM in Khao Tao" directly in the trash due to the terrifingly low quality of training and experience produced by factory islands like it so that in itself is going to hinder you further.

Ultimately, if you want to work in diving, instructor is the minimum needed.

I second what @String said for the most part. In order to work in the industry, you really need to take your IDC and become an instructor. There are rare situations where you would find work as a DM...but they are as rare as a hen's teeth.

I would not say that all dive centers would throw away a CV based on you getting trained in Koh Tao though. There are a few good centers there. One of them is Roctopus and the other I know of is Bans. I have seen a few CVs with Koh Tao listed and I did not trash them. I reviewed them like I did all the others.

Good luck you and your girlfriend and remember that you will get out what you put into the training.

One last thing, seems like you picked a dive center already, If I were you, I would have asked if they teach the skill circuit kneeling or neutral. Any center that teaches it kneeling is not worth your time. Also, if they teach the "Buddha hover"....don't bother.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom