Work permit situation and a ramble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly Crowley, we still need foriegners to work with us.

Agree with everything you say - but especially this - we need to work *with* each other - not an easy process for nationalities that are so far culturally distant, but I keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers

C

Reading the whole topic took me 2 hours :D

And i can say only.,

You reap what you sow.,

We can speculate on this subject till after the elections, and the new goverment is elected and started to rebuild there country.

But renember, You reap what you sow.

If someone thinks he can speak fluently another language exept his natural language, he his just arrogant or rather a fool., even after 20 years he will not be able to talk the same as the locals do in the country he is staying in.
So you did your IDC course in Arabic or English., and you learnt some words or even went to college for a Russian, Spanish, German, Dutch, Japanese, Korean or any other language course., Ask yourself as customer now., Do i want to do my OW course with a local who claims to speak and understand my natural language, or will i take a instructor from my own country i can rely on that he will understand my natural spoken language.....

Dive Proffesionals work in diving because they love diving, and not for the easy money what some (a lot) of the new Egyptian DM's think they can earn $$ with this job.,

quantity or quality?
But renember, You reap what you sow.

Just my 2 cents of talk about this subject.

I disagree with the fluency about languages because I know instructors who really can teach fluently in 5 languages, and the majority of my colleagues can manage in two or three. No, they don't always have the colloquial fluency of native speakers but - for example - I have met people who have an English parent and a German parent and they grew up in Spain, and therefore speak all three completely fluently. Learning the languages is harder - some people have the talent; I, sadly, do not.

I can speak enough German to run a boat and have recently spent several weeks doing exactly that without having to resort to English, but I can't hold up a conversation in German unless it's about diving. I could probably learn enough to present the required knowledge for an open water course in German but I would feel dishonest or dishonorable doing so, because I will never e fluent enough to address more complicated questions.

Fluency in languages is required to teach diving well. But it is not required to run a boat, conduct intro dives or snorkeling tours - and these earn a great deal of money in the environment in which I work. Glass bottom boat tours earn more per day than the biggest 5 dive centres in Sharm combined. So - diving or throwing bread off a glass-bottomed, semi-submarine to encourage a gaggle of sergeant major fish to crowd the windows? Flush the toilet - it has the same effect.

But yeah - you reap what is sown, and if enough tat is sold to people who don't really care, by people who don't really know what they are doing, a whole bunch of money is there to be made, sadly.

And on the other hand - I sowed 2,500 Egyptian Pounds and I reaped a renewal of my work permit. That's more than it cost in the first place, but I am very glad to have one. The stamp is, however, a little ambiguous because it says that work is permitted / work is not permitted, and neither of these things have been deleted as appropriate, so it's difficult to ascertain if I am legally allowed to work here or legally allowed to stay here on the sole condition that I remain unemployed.

Time will tell.

Cheers

C.

No my permit lasts until the end of May 2012 - signed and sealed. All the staff who've renewed so far have received a full year from the end of their current work permit, with one exception. The date of expiry seems to be based somehow on your last date of entry into the country which meant one guy got a month-long work permit, but I think this will be rectified without too much additional stress.

Shadow - yes, the Brits are lazy about learning languages - because we ruled the half the world at one point and taught everybody to speak the Queen's English - whereas most non-English speaking nations have it sort of thrust upon them in music, movies and TV series. Me - I can learn enough to fluently exist, as long as I don't have to engage in serious debate, but my brain is just not wired up that way, sorry. The guy who speaks five languages - well, I'm jealous - but he can't play guitar and I can! :D

Looking forward to another year in Sharm - if indeed there is a Sharm after September 7th.

Cheers

C.

Back
Top Bottom