Woooo Hoooo, I'm geared up :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefilly

Reaction score
After nothing but rentals, I'm so excited, had to share :)

Got a Tusa Selena BC that was so comfortable in the store that I just know something will have to be wrong when I get it wet this weekend :D (just kidding, I'm just thinking it's too nice for me, LoL)

I already had a regulator (Mares Abyss) but picked up a Mares Axis octo and Tusa three guage console.

And finally, I updated my wetsuit collection with a Henderson Hyperstretch 3m (absolute heaven to put on and to wear) which fits quite nicely and nice looking under a 3m shorty I have for cooler water, a matching cap (quite nice to me after always wearing hoods,,, doesn't have all that neck stuff to tuck in and I don't mind my neck not being covered) and a pair of Akona tall booties.

For anyone up in my neck of the woods, I would sincerely recommend Dive Sports in Decatur. They have the most reasonable prices in the area anyway but they worked me an even greater deal on the package and the service was amazing! (They're online at http://www.divesports.com/)

Anyone coming to Safety Day at the Madison quarry this weekend, come ooh and aah with me, LoL.

I hope that I am that excited when I get my BC. Thinking about buying it next week but I need to time it so that I can get it wet really quick. If not I know that it will just kill me seeing it dry.

Thanks, gfisher. Yep, it was a blast. Not nearly as much fun as trying it out, though :)

Ridiver, most everything was awesome! BC was a comfort dream, both while hauling my tank/weight laden butt to the dock to wait for others to clear and in the water. Suit was super sweet (wore new full suit and cap and old shorty), allowing movement that was totally uninhibited while staying comfortable to 50 deg. The compass seemed a bit slow in reacting but I may have just forgotten how they work and I messed up when taking the last pair of thin bottom booties the store had as they were a bit large (I have a problem toe nail that I ripped from the friction). Otherwise, everything assembled/dissassembled/worked to my best expectations and I look forward to all the future use that gear is going to get :D

crpntr,,, hear ya! It has rained here for almost two weeks straight and I was almost in tears thinking it would be a crappy dive day for try out. Luckily, it was nothing but sunshine and sweetness, yesterday,,, and today it's raining again,,, reckon it was coordinated just for us? :)

I'm so happy to see no buyer's remorse for you, Firefilly. I couldn't agree more about the comfort and ease of the Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm. I keep wondering who's buying any other kind. I'm very happy with my recently purchased Zeagle Zena, but I confess you've got me curious about the Selena. Lastly, I appreciate your feedback about the shorty over the new one piece keeping you comfortable to lower temperatures, as it can get a little chilly in the quarry that's the most convenient place for me to dive here in inland North Carolina. Continue to enjoy!

Hey Paula,

Actually, I misspelled the model name, above,,, it's "Selene", and, for me, it was quite wonderful. I'm 5'9", 140lbs, with wider shoulders than most females and short upper body, comparitively speaking and the medium was set up perfectly right out of the bag. However, the BC is configured to provide a custom fit so, I'm thinking many body types will be just as comfortable as I was in it. (There's a strap between the shoulder blades that you can adjust so the shoulders sit closer or further out depending on shoulder width and a chest strap in addition to the normal cumberbund.)

My fave features, along with the fit (that puppy didn't move,,, or ride up one bit and I never felt pinched, even when testing full inflate,,, and I know I'm rambling in my expanation, sorry about that but figure you want the "whys" more than the "whats" as anyone can read a product description :) ,,, I also don't stay face forward horizontal as much as many I've seen,,, I swim on my side or upside down a lot when looking at stuff or checking out my buddy,,, this BC allowed me to do so without having to adjust for shifting,,, another "fit" note) include the auto-fill connection (I could easily connect/disconnect with one hand), the thick backpad (which is removable if you don't like it,,, not happening with me!) and the locking weight pocket system (I changed weights while in the water after wound up too light at the end of the first dive and it was a "piece of cake" to pull the front pockets, swap out weights, put them back and secure)

Lastly,,, about the suit configuration comment,,, we were quarry diving also, so know exactly what you're talking about :) Hope it works as well for you as it did for me!

Anyway, hope all that helps :)

ASUPaula:
I couldn't agree more about the comfort and ease of the Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm. I keep wondering who's buying any other kind.

I have the 3mm Hyperstretch hood and I find it "picks" on everything. And until I got a vent put in the top I had a SERIOUS case of "balloon head" (usually I get cone head with hoods since I hae a small head). I am interested in a 3mm vest with hyperstretch but I suspect a full suit will balloon up every time I get a little extra air in it (you know, beans for lunch and all that!)

Robin

RobinG:
...And until I got a vent put in the top I had a SERIOUS case of "balloon head" ...I am interested in a 3mm vest with hyperstretch but I suspect a full suit will balloon up every time I get a little extra air in it...
Robin

My experience had no flopping or "ballooning" at all. The suit has a very snug but comfortable fit and didn't budge while diving. I didn't try the hood, I use the cap with under chin strap and it also was nice and snug.

Do you think your hood might be a little large for you? It is supposed to stretch just a bit to be fitting, I'm thinking. They have small and extra small sizes,,, I took a medium cap (and if "average masks fits" mean anything, I have an average head,,, any cheap 'ole mask seems to seal fine on me. so I'm thinking that XS is pretty darn petite :) )

Good luck in your perfect suit hunting!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom