Wooo, solo diver to Cozumel Mid-April!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bibeldyboo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Super excited to have just booked my airfare (well, 24 hour hold to be exact, using points nonetheless) to CZM from NYC 4/9-4/14. Waiting on a few logistics (such as making sure work will allow me to take the days off, but not worried about that), but getting ready to book hotel and dives.

Over the past 3 years, only have been able to take two dive trips, Belize (blue hole was cool, but Lighthouse Reef and Half Moon Caye were amazing), and Roatan (loved Roatan so much, stayed in West End and dove with Reef Gliders; highly recommended, loved the people, GF got certified, then went and got AOW too, short trips to dive locations, long dives, small groups, great DMs and diving was great too).

I know Cozumel will be a different diving and top side experience, seems to be heavily built up in town, but as a solo diver, this seems like the best area to stay. My favorite diving is healthy reefs and fun macro stuff, but large pelagic is great too! I'm AOW and Nitrox certified, though have never actually done a Nitrox dive since getting certified. Is there a big benefit with the types of dives we're seeing in Cozumel?

I'm thinking I'm going to dive with Aldora (may as well get the most bottom time), and stay at Hotel Suites Bahia (in town, close to Aldora, and cheap), but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I'm pretty open right now. My main goals are as much diving as I can muster, and budget lodging (with A/C). I'm definitely budget oriented, but if there's a good reason to spend more, I can and will.

I'm also a food lover, and tend to enjoy the local food, instead of the typical gringo fair. I was in Isla Mujeres a few years back (no diving), and still remember this fish place near the pier where the local fishermen would come in, provide fish, and was a choice between fried and grilled. Amazing! Any cool places like that? Also remember local taco stands, grilled chicken stands and other fun stuff, so would love some suggestions. An adventurous eater.

Anything else I shouldn't miss in CZM while I'm there?

Thanks all, super excited!

Fellow New Yorker here, heading to Coz on 3/10 for my 4th trip with Aldora. They are by far the best operation there, you'll love diving with them. Best non tourist spots for tacos are Los Otates and El Pique, awesome food and very cheap. Here's some video I shot in August . Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Go for the nitrox with Aldora. It's the best way to take advantage of the big tanks and get extended bottom times. They usually separate air and nitrox divers on different boats.

I would also recommend El Pique and Los Otates.

For the local food hidden gems, you have to have lunch one day - I recommend Saturday, the only day they serve a Sopa Mariscos - Pescaderia San Carlos. It is a little locally owned fish market-seafood restaurant, back aways from the main drag, and just a little hole in the wall. The Sopa Mariscos is excellent, but ask for the hot sauce, and add a bit to the soup, but go carefully, that stuff has a bite. But 1/2 spoonful or so really brightens up the soup. Also, the Grouper in Garlic Sauce is outstanding. It closes about 4:00, so not available for Dinner. Also, try La Perlita, it has a lionfish special on Thursday, the coconut crusted lionfish is very good, and the lionfish ceviche is excellent. Finally, a MUST GO for anyone seeking local flavor is El Moro - way back in town, about ave 65, north of the Transversal road (take a taxi), it has some really great Yucatan food, and an owner, Ray, who will make you feel like family. I love going there for Sunday lunch, when it has either Cochinita Pibil, a traditional Yuctan pork dish, or Lechon al Horn de Negro, a slow cooked pork in a black achiote paste sauce - it's pretty amazing. But dinner during the week is also a treat. For lunches, try one or more of the "loncherias" - little locally owned places, usually in someone's house, where they'll serve you a full meal, chips and salsa, soup, an entree with rice and beans, and agua fresca to drink, all for about 75-80 pesos. You can find posts with names of some of these loncherias on this board, or on the food and drink forum at CozumelMyCozumel.com. NOTE, exchange currency, either at a bank (you'll need to bring your passport) or at a cambio, and use Pesos for pretty much everything, especially taxis. It will save you a lot of money.

Plus 1 for Pescaderia San Carlos. Hard to find and they close everyday at 6pm but absolutely the best seafood meal you will ever get.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora

Another thought on lunch - go back to the Mercado, straight back from the Plaza, at about Ave. 20 (I think; I just walk back until I get there). Several small stalls with local women selling home made food. Get a bowl of Pozole Rojas, a rich spicy stew with pork and hominy in a red sauce. Or anything else that looks good.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! All set, and booked at Aldora, Suites Bahia, and flight. Really excited for April, can't wait to get back underwater. Will check out the suggested restaurants, and will use my Nitrox with Aldora.

Pay in pesos or they give you a terrible exchange rate. I always use my US ATM card at the airport or at some of the big banks in town. You get the exact exchange rate minus a small fee your bank charges. Also, Aldora will give you a 10% discount if you pay cash for the diving.

Fellow New Yorker here, heading to Coz on 3/10 for my 4th trip with Aldora. They are by far the best operation there...
They may be your favorite, and there's nothing wrong with that, but there is no op on the island that is the best for everyone. Aldora is a great op, but DSFDF.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, that is just my opinion. I did not conduct extensive research on Aldora or the rest of the taquerias on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom