Wondering where your stuff from overseas is? Shipaggedon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how does food get here? Or there?

Ontario grocery stores sell Californian and South American fresh food during the winter. How is that stuff transported? Last winter and spring the shelves were full of product.

The stuff from the US is mostly likely trucked. Or perhaps moved by rail. South American stuff probably moved in reefers (refrigerated containers) if direct ocean shipments to Canada. Not sure if it comes direct from South America or via the US.

Too many people have their tin foil hats on way too tight about this situation. Someone told me earlier this week that since there are no workers to unload the ships, the National Guard needs to be called out to it. The ILWU would have a lot to say about that!

:rofl3:

The stuff from the US is mostly likely trucked. Or perhaps moved by rail. South American stuff probably moved in reefers (refrigerated containers) if direct ocean shipments to Canada. Not sure if it comes direct from South America or via the US.
Ok. But I am still very confused. My grocery store is still fully stocked. No exotic / imported food shortage issues. We have way too many Avocado...

If food and lawn chairs use the same shipping system, why can I buy imported food but can't find a set of lawn chairs?

If the lawn chairs are not here yet because they need to spend a month floating around outside a harbour waiting to unload, how do my Chilean grapes show up every week?

Is this an air freight vs ship freight issue? Wild guess as I have no idea how any of this stuff gets made available to my local grocery store - it shows up locally inside trucks is all I know.

Too many people have their tin foil hats on way too tight about this situation. Someone told me earlier this week that since there are no workers to unload the ships, the National Guard needs to be called out to it. The ILWU would have a lot to say about that!

:rofl3:
And that’s the problem with unions! Even when they can’t get it done they block others from doing it “Not that the National Guard would have anyone trained to do this work anyway”. I believe unions have their place, I just think that they sometimes go to far trying to protect their workers.

I believe unions have their place, I just think that they sometimes go to far trying to protect their workers.

Yes, exactly especially when national security and public interest is at stake here.

Not sure how relevent this is but shipping to Libya from Europe, Italy and Germany, is going on schedule no issues really. I know that we don't have the huge volume as you do in the US nor the strong unions in Libya but there doesn't appear to be a huge delay in getting things from Europe. Shipping costs have skyrocketed still. I just think that it is a "conspiracy."

This is what I’m dealing with this week. Given my extensive transportation experience, besides being a customs broker, I’ve been asked to handle one customer we do clearances AND coordinate delivery for. Can do this in my sleep. One of the KC, MO rail yards is a massive cluster. One of the two container lifts is down. Trucker sent these photos. Trucker delivered one container in the local KC area this morning. Driver has been sitting in line since 10am to get the empty lifted off the chassis so they can get another loaded one. We have 10 containers for that particular customer. They’re handling deliveries for 4 containers for another customer of mine. Severe chassis shortage. Rail now only gives 24 hours free time. Used to give 48. Storage is $100/day per container.

F8C125DE-3EF1-4A64-9F52-4D14955C7352.jpeg
12F0B4E6-1421-4751-81C5-2E551463C7F7.jpeg
54E46EB2-78C3-4AA1-B373-35111B1FFB76.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom