Wondering where your stuff from overseas is? Shipaggedon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is his point, wear crappy looking equipment that is very old and out of date and EoS/EoL. His reasoning is invalid and irrelevant to diving. We don't have quality issues with new equipment vs. the old. I don't hear about equipment, regulators for example, that are falling apart or become out of support or difficult to service in our industry. Mixing complaints about other industries here is confusing and gives very wrong impressions and implications of the dive industry. I know that people want to complain just for the sake of complaining but this isn't relevant at all.

P.S. In the US you may have issues getting your home appliances serviced because you are rich and don't want to be bothered, but here where I am now, we can get everything fixed even if we had to scavenge parts for it from the junk yard or aftermarket cheap spare parts. Nothing goes to waste, even if it did, it gets recycled and used for spare parts. My Daewoo washing machine is 20 years old and works. The only time it went down when the "motor" went and the repair man found a replacement for it. This was 4 years ago.
With regard to modern washers, many of them have sealed tubs from the factory such that it costs more than a new one to have the old one repaired because a low end new one is $400. We ended up buying a new made in the USA one for over $1000 which was essentially made the same way my parents washer was. But not a lot of people willing to pay $1000 for an old fashioned made in the USA washer with limited features. Just like not a lot of people willing to pay over $250 for a pair of made in USA fins.

I think most of us replace regulators for the sake of something shiny and new, not so much that we wear them out or out-grow them. Except for you tec guys. Cause you're special.

I think most of us replace regulators for the sake of something shiny and new, not so much that we wear them out or out-grow them. Except for you tec guys. Cause you're special.

I still have my Atomic B1 from late 90's that was upgraded to a B2 by Atomic and it works just like new no issues whatsoever. The dive industry is in a much better shape than other industries.

With regard to modern washers, many of them have sealed tubs from the factory such that it costs more than a new one to have the old one repaired because a low end new one is $400. We ended up buying a new made in the USA one for over $1000 which was essentially made the same way my parents washer was. But not a lot of people willing to pay $1000 for an old fashioned made in the USA washer with limited features. Just like not a lot of people willing to pay over $250 for a pair of made in USA fins.

We can buy German made Bosch home appliances here and they will last until you get sick of them or get toasted by the power outages here (we have protectors on ours). The Bosch machines are expensive but they last. There are Chinese and Turkish brands that have good reputation too.

In diving we don't have the issues other industries have at all, I still have two MK2/R380 regulators I use in the dive school's training/rental program and they work just like the first day I bought them. I service and tune them every year or other year and parts are available no issues. They don't perform like the much better MK25 or MK17's but no difference in reliability between the most expensive or least expensive within a high quality manufacturer such as Scubapro or Atomic. The story is the same with the other brands, Mare/Cressi, there is no difference between the most expensive or the cheap, they all suck and crappy.

In diving we don't have the issues other industries have at all, I still have two MK2/R380 regulators I use in the dive school's training/rental program and they work just like the first day I bought them. I service and tune them every year or other year and parts are available no issues. They don't perform like the much better MK25 or MK17's but no difference in reliability between the most expensive or least expensive within a high quality manufacturer such as Scubapro or Atomic. The story is the same with the other brands, Mare/Cressi, there is no difference between the most expensive or the cheap, they all suck and crappy.
You seem to be a very negative and hostile person.
Just an observation.
Not all Americans are rich BTW, far from it.
Where is ‘here’ when mention your location.

You seem to be a very negative and hostile person.
Just an observation.

Where did you see my "very negative" and "hostile" in my post? Really where?

Not all Americans are rich BTW, far from it.
Where is ‘here’ when mention your location.

American economy and income per person per year is MUCH more than in most countries outside the Western world. The people you would consider as "poor" in the US will be middle class in other countries. Average government employee here gets less than $200 per month or less than $2400 per year and without any benefits (no health care or anything). There is nothing wrong with being rich, or richer, btw.

Africa for example.

Wow. Those biggest of the big retailers certainly have the means and reason to charter ships. But that they need to shows how out of whack the broader market is. I feel sorry for anyone who's not a whale and is trying to get goods shipped. This week I placed two orders from Germany to the U.S. that I hope will arrive before Christmas. Anyone want to lay odds?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom