Wondering on right occy for the T3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed it is the ideal metal for use in salt water. AFAIK the only drawbacks are the lack of oxygen compatibility and the price. Unless you're tech diving, you probably can't even buy pure o2 for scuba, so the former is a non issue for most people.

I'd be diving titanium if I didn't have tons of other scuba toys to put my money into.
I have a T3 with a B2 octo. It is crazy light which is also a benefit when traveling.

Agreed - it always amazes me how some here seem to have such big issues with how other people spend their money...

Pile up $100 bills and burn them if you want. Cool by me.

The OP is a new diver and I just wonder who has taken advantage of that to persuade him to buy what most divers see as a gimmick. The industry tends to run on that idea - get people through an OW course spend loads, get bored, give up diving.

PS comparing Z2 vs. T3 prices it's actually quadruple the price. (3.98x)

It is your money too and if you made an informed decision and that is what you want then that's great. The problem I see is that many newcomers to the sport do not have the information to make an informed decision. They only have the dive shop who will try to steer them to the highest margin unit, usually using the life support argument. The only other place they can turn to for relatively unbiased (or maybe a lot of diverse biased opinions) is Scubaboard. As you pointed out the T3 is almost 4 times more expensive that the Z2 (I was using the Z3 as a comparison off Leisurepro's site) but how long will a Z2 last? If properly taken care of at least 20-25 years is the T3 going to last 4 times as long? In my opinion the weak point of modern regulators are the plastic cases on the second stage, not the internal parts.

Titanium is used in the aerospace industry for its high strength and light weight. Where its higher price is offset with fuel savings and higher performance. There are no savings in the scuba application. Also in many applications titanium is giving way to carbon fiber.

I do agree with you that it is a bit wasteful to spend $600 on an octo that is only going to be used rarely, but if the OP has the money then more power to him.

I have a T3 with a B2 octo. It is crazy light which is also a benefit when traveling.

I had a T2X but got the T3 when it came out. Best reg I've owned no doubt. While it being light weight is one advantage, perhaps the most important factor is the "cool factor". When I get on the boat and folks see my T3, they think I'm a diving God.

It's 1/2lb lighter than my ST1 set, and every 1/2lb adds up!

The T3 has s 3yr service interval vs 2yr on the others (or 300 dives in all cases), which is pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom