Wondering on right occy for the T3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey there guys. So I'll start by saying I'm relatively new to diving etc. but I absolutely love it and am sticking with it. I've been told I'm a natural.
Anyhows I'm gathering my first ever dive gear.
I'm up to my Reg and occy.
I am going the T3 Reg. No question about it.
I'm looking for a suitable occy in the atomic range to suite it. Now I was and still might go the ti2 but unfortunately the supplier to Australia has none in stock until Xmas and unless I ring around and find a dealer that has one in stock "which I will be very happy to do" I won't be able to get this occy at the time. So my question is. What is the best sort of occy other than the ti2 that will suit the T3.
I was going to go the M1 but I think a titanium one would suit the T3 better and I don't see my mixes going over 40% anytime in the near future but I do like the look of it.
Also I know the T3 comes with a first stage I'm
Wondering when you buy say the ti2 or m1 or any of the occys do you get there first stage included in the price or is it just the second stage and the LP hose ?!?
Thanks guys.

If you're buying just an octo, that's what you get - a 2nd stage and a hose.

I have a T2 - my octo is a Z1 from another set, personally I'd buy a Z2 octo in yellow and save the cash. Every Atomic breathes the same, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between a Z2 and any of the others except for the name on the front and the swivel. I breathe off my octo occasionally to be sure it still works and I can't.

Personally I'd get something with a 2 in the name, like Z2 or B2 - the "1"'s or the Ti2 have been around for a while, the non-octo Ti2 wasn't new when I bought my B1 - probably around 2003?

Although just about any octo from most mfr's will work (except maybe Poseidon) I'd go with an Atomic so your dealer can service both at the same time.

B4 you spend big money on matching octo's, consider how seldom you'll likely use it. Mine has been riding around for a decade, I deployed it once in 2004 when I tangled my primary up in a mooring line while scootering. It's never been used since except tested occasionally.

Last edited:
Titanium is good for dental implants. Not sure why you would want it on a scuba regulator?
Durability and more importantly corrosion resistance. Ti does not corrode in salt water unlike brass. T3's are entirely milled from Ti including all the metal parts in the 2nds.

I dropped my entire rig off the back of a truck once. The yoke took all the impact and landed on the only rock nearby. I dusted if off and went diving and didn't have it serviced till about a year later. It isn't even scratched...

Durability and more importantly corrosion resistance. Ti does not corrode in salt water unlike brass.

Titanium is a gimmick to increase profit margins. A properly rinsed regulator will last decades. You have people diving double-hoses that are 50 and 60 years old. There is no need for titanium in scuba applications and no reason to double or triple the price of a regulator to use it.

Durability and more importantly corrosion resistance. Ti does not corrode in salt water unlike brass. T3's are entirely milled from Ti including all the metal parts in the 2nds.
Indeed it is the ideal metal for use in salt water. AFAIK the only drawbacks are the lack of oxygen compatibility and the price. Unless you're tech diving, you probably can't even buy pure o2 for scuba, so the former is a non issue for most people.

I'd be diving titanium if I didn't have tons of other scuba toys to put my money into.

Why buy Titanium? Because you want to and can afford it, reasons enough. Most purchases in life are more about wants than needs.

To the OP if you want a T3 buy a T3. If I had the money personally I'd buy a T3 as back up as I like matching seconds, otherwise I'd buy a Z2. Good luck.

Titanium is a gimmick to increase profit margins. A properly rinsed regulator will last decades. You have people diving double-hoses that are 50 and 60 years old. There is no need for titanium in scuba applications and no reason to double or triple the price of a regulator to use it.
You're right, there's no need for it. But it will arguably last longer and be more durable, they don't make things like airplane components out of it because it's weaker or cheaper.

You're making my point - Ti regs require less rinsing since it can't corrode.

I can afford it so why not own it? Is there a downside to owning a regulator that will corrode less over time that I'm not aware of? Honestly I should've probably bought the ST1 instead so I did buy into the hype slightly.

The OP seems set on a T3 so that's probably going to happen. I personally think it's a waste of money to buy another "T: series 2nd for something that for most divers never gets used. But it's his money...

PS comparing Z2 vs. T3 prices it's actually quadruple the price. (3.98x)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom