Wonderful Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate) Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
ok so for christmas im getting a photograhy set, camera, strobe, casing...my question to you guys is what camera should i get. basically im not looking to spend 800 on an SLR camera, just a simple point and shoot camera. im not specific to a brand whether its nikon, canon, fuji. im looking for a camera around 200 give or take a little. I be going on maybe 3 tops scuba trips a year so dont need the best equipment. looking for basic features such as good macro, a faster shutter speed so i don't miss that KEY shot. Things along that line. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

$200 for the camera only? Maybe but then there's the enclosure and strobe. Entry level "set" will cost around $1000

Look on eBay for a nice, used system "from last year".

There's a lot of 5meg cameras out there for real cheap.

Most have macro mode, adjustable white balance is irrelevant- as you'll be shooting macro with the on-board flash. Quick shutter response? That you're going to still have to pay for, my friend.

I've shot lots of remarkable stuff with a very simple Oly 5050. See my sig line.

Find a housing and go from there. Pick a housing that has a good availability of inexpensive used cameras on eBay and have at it.

I like Canon and Olympus for the availability of OEM Housings (made by the camera manufacturer) and the plethora of available used cameras.

Another benefit? If you flood it, the replacement is cheap.

i was looking at ikelite housings, alot of theres for the "entry level" cameras are around the 260-300 range. the strobe, i have found for like 200 for the strobe head, flex arm and everything on divers-supply. as for how good it is im not sure...but thats 500 right there so i will have about 200, 300 is pushing it to spend on a camera but dont know alot about there or what to look for exactly.

My setup was darn close to $800 and I have been quite happy with it. It consists of a Canon A650IS, Canon housing, and Fantasea nano strobe/focus light. I don't think they make the A650 anymore, but they do make similar models. Do your homework and make sure there is a housing available for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom