womens wetsuit sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadaScubaRN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
Would like to purchase my own wetsuit for warm water diving.... however when i look at the sizing charts , i am getting discouraged.
I am in my late 40's, new to diving, and have a height of 5'8, 190 lbs..... generally wear a size 16 dress.
I dont have much in the top.... lets just say i am pretty straight up and down ! Would a size 16 in those new hyperstretch neoprene brands, have enough "give" in the waist? The waist is the problem.
Or should I be looking at mens sizing ?
Anyone have any suggestions, other than losing weight !!! lol

I just bought two custom wetsuits from www.aquaflite.com. I had been through about 10 off the rack suits ranging from inexpensive to very expensive and regardless of what the size charts said, never found anything that fit me well. My custom suits fit perfectly, are easier to don, and were comparable in price to most of the others I purchased. I will go custom every time from now on!

I know there are other sites that offer custom wetsuits but had a great experience at Aquaflite and found Ed to be extremeley helpful in answering all of my questions.

Good Luck shopping!

I wear Henderson suits -- 3, 5 and 7 mm. I find that their women's suits are cut full enough through the bust and hips. My issue has been length because I have a 36" inseam. I usually have custom suits for a few (about $30 more) so the length is there in the legs. Men's suits would be fine length wise BUT are too tight in the chest and hips for me.

If you are looking for something on sale or want an off the rack (not sure about your financial situation) then prepare for a long day of trying on wet suits. I needed a new 7mm for diving the St Lawrence and tried on 17 wetsuits (I am quite busty so had problems in the shoulders). I was a tired, sweaty mess at the end of it. The sizing charts were hard for me - I weigh about the same as you but I'm 5'7" and we honestly just had to use trial and error until something worked. A properly fitting wetsuit has made all the difference for my diving - and it's really hard when we need so much exposure protection up here!

Thanks for the tip on custom suits. I guess I just assumed they were out of my price range. I typically wear a 12 in tops and it is due to bust size and broad back. Frankly, I stopped trying on wetsuits when the XLs weren't fitting me. Too tight in the top, too large everywhere else. And, nearly impossible to get on. Diving San Diego, I need a 7mm. Because of wet suit trama, I've pretty much stopped diving here. I tried dry suits and those weren't for me. I'm now going to go the custom route. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom