Women's Diving Seminar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Depth Perception Dive Center in Tampa, FL will be holding a Women's Diving Seminar on Saturday, April 16th from 10am until 5pm.

We will be discussing how to be a more confident diver as well as trouble-shooting equipment problems and handling those "over-bearing" dive partners. We will be discussing skills every diver should know and have as well as equipment choices to make your dives more enjoyable. This seminar is being put on by women for women and will be an open discussion/forum style. We will also be putting together some continuing education classes specifically for women. This seminar is FREE and lunch will be provided. Reservations are requested so call today and reserve your space!

Here is a link to more information - http://www.depthperception.com/Newsletters/wds.pdf

Depth Perception Dive Center
105 US Highway 301 South
Tampa, FL 33619

www.depthperception.com
813.689.DIVE (3483)

You might consider that there are men that are interested in learning about women's issues relating to diving, too. Why not invite anyone that is interested in learning? :06:

You say by women for women, but this reads condescending all over. I live in Cally, so maybe us chick divers are more hardcore than you gals are there, but this post really bugged me.

I think ALL new divers need basic tips to becoming more confident, not just the women, like scubadad said. I've seen plenty of new male divers have the overberaing buddies.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

scubalaurel:
You say by women for women, but this reads condescending all over. I live in Cally, so maybe us chick divers are more hardcore than you gals are there, but this post really bugged me.

I think ALL new divers need basic tips to becoming more confident, not just the women, like scubadad said. I've seen plenty of new male divers have the overberaing buddies.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

This wasn't meant to "bug" you. It was meant to offer something to women that may otherwise not be able to voice their concerns.

I am a caver and tech diver. My wife is not. She has her own ideas, wants, needs and desires about diving. The same goes for many of the people that dive out of this shop. This was put together by the owner of the shop (woman -- CAVER aka HARDCORE DIVER) and the marketing director at NAUI (woman - HARDCORE DIVER). They have had tremendous response to this so apparently there is some need being addressed.

I too was a "Cally" diver. I was a NAVY diver for 5 years in San Diego and did a year in San Francisco. I have a pretty good idea what kind of diving there is there!

With respect to this seminar, I am just posting the message. If you have issues with this type of seminar you should contact Jackie @ Depth Perception - 813.689.3483 (www.depthperception.com).

I am not really sure why you are knocking it other than to see your own posts.

Hi,
I think it is a great idea. I dove in Fl with a great buddy. I was not as experienced & I really depended on him for so much. The equipment repair, navigation underwater, where we went etc. I was new to the area so it made sense.
Then, we parted waves "PUN" HA HA, no seriously, I was back on my own and realized how much I didn't know about the small but greatly important things. So, I took an equiupment specialty, Navigation Sp. etc. I don't know what a "Hard Core diver is???
Gosh, I thought it was a sport, not how many notches you can put on your weight belt. Anyhoo, addressing the need of women divers is a nice idea. It doesn't make us any weaker, or dumber, but, hey SCUBA is still a male dominated sport so lets get all the help we can. If you don't need it fine more power to ya.
Happy bubbles, Valerie

If my husband had the oppurtunity to attend a seminar for men divers I would in no way be offended. We are different with different issues and anyone who thinks otherwise is not being real. I would love to attend this womans diving seminar if I could get away :( and I know my husband would encourage me to do so. Hmmm mabe hes not so bad after all..shhhhhh dont tell him I said that.

:)

ScubaDadMiami:
You might consider that there are men that are interested in learning about women's issues relating to diving, too. Why not invite anyone that is interested in learning? :06:

I havent visited the link yet but does it say men are not allowed? Just wondering.

I don't have any problems with this post and would love to hear how the seminar went. BTW- are pee valves mentioned in the seminar? (cold water diver here that hates wearing a diaper, just in case...)
(IMHO- If there's an issue, start a new thread about the differences between the sexes instead of hijacking this one?)

I have no issue with a seminar about women diver topics. I have attended these kinds of seminars before, and I find the topic interesting.

My problem is the "for women" part. I can only interpret this as meaning: "This seminar is open to women only." If it is "about" women, that is great. If is is only "for women," that's where I have a problem.

Why not let others know about these issues? Is there something wrong with men learning about women's diving issues? :06:

I wish I would have seen this earlier. I most certainly would have driven from Key Largo to Tampa to attend the seminar and to visit with you nice people at Depth Perception. There are many important women's diving issues. I hope that you post a review of the seminar. At the very least, it would provide us with some interesting topics for discussion.

Best regards,
Carolyn Tomes
Liquid Fit

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom